Attacking Racism Through Hip-Hop

binary_10essee

I have a question. Sadly, I see that racism is still a prominent issue in the world. Discrimination in general is a growing problem, as far as I can see. But racism and equality were dealt with many, many years ago -- civil rights movement and all that.

Though I'm Caucasian, do I have a valid stance in attacking racism through hip-hop? And I don't mean "because I'm white I shouldn't rap." To elaborate a bit more, is it valid for me to attack racism, even though racism primarily targets African Americans, Asians, Middle Eastern, etc.? Of course it's highly unlikely that my ancestors were ever slaves or anything of that nature, and more likely (even though I honestly have no knowledge of it) that they may have been "slave masters."

I can't stand racism, or discrimination in any other aspect. It really irks my nerves. Infuriates me even. I hate it. I believe that it's entirely wrong in every sense. We all breathe the same air, bleed the same blood, and we all have a place in this world, cruel as it may be.

Would it be any sort of awkward for me, being Caucasian, to speak out against racism as the core subject in a song?

The questions here may not be necessary. I just don't want to step onto a playing field where I don't really have much of a stance. Know what I mean? I suppose I'm just irrationally paranoid and sensitive to such issues. I hate to offend anyone, for any reason, and I do my best to be peaceful and respectful and equal.

White people have stood and died for racial equality in the US. Nothing awkward about promoting the peace.

It's something Eminem has done on his older albums, though subtly. Definitely worth fighting for human rights. Being white may even show global support for the cause, it depends on how you write the lyrics and how you deliver your stance.

Back