Asher Roth Is Proof That Hip-Hop Has Won (MTV Article)

DJ Drama did make Dedication 2. And right now anytime Drama or Cannon make mixtapes people always download them consistently. How come their co-sign isnt enough?

The fundementals are not the same.

1. Hip-Hop has a larger stake in Pop due to changes in it sonic characteristics.

2. Consumers are becoming familiar with genre diversification.

3. The Internet plays a much larger part in fan participation or the ability for potential consumers to "stumble" onto new acts.

Although these are three obvious changes from the Vanilla Ice or Eminem era, it's apparent that Asher has no reason to sell himself to the Urban market considering his music is based on Suburban/College topics. If Asher were Eminem (White kid raised in majority Black ghetto and signed by legendary Black producer) then he would have to sell himself to the Urban audience who would label him as just another "White Rapper" trying to be Black. Asher is being himself, a Suburban White kid who loves weed, ******* and college. No need to go out of that comfort zone when so many people (Urban or Suburban) can relate to those universal topics.

James Keaze said:
I find it funny how you people ***** and complain about "Hip-Hop losing it's way". But when someone like Asher Roth brings some degree of classic Hip-Hop back to the mainstream, he's brushed off as a "joke" or a mainstream perpetuated hoax.

Roth = New Age Beastie Boys.

"I Love College" is a universal topic. Urban or Suburban, people can relate to the college life. Plus I'm a firm believer that the Urban market rarely buys records...but that's my opinion.
No offense intended, but your "opinion" is extremely flawed.

1st, who's to say that this guy is "stopping hip hop from losing it's way" or not? Then again, I don't complain of such things, so I'm clueless to what the guysb**ching want.

Second, why would the "urban market' who for the most part don't have access to computers on a scale where they can obtain illegal copies of music be less likely to spend their hard earned money than a broke college kid who's mama pay for their computer and net connection that would rather keep their $10 for beer, or that 12 year old kid who's parents don't want him listening to that sh*t who has a computer in his room?

I'm sure you think no ones supposed to take offense to your post, but that was pretty ignorant.

As for Roth, that "new age Beastie Boys" analogy is being used over and over. You gotta be the deafest non hip hop listening lying to yourself whiteraphype supported to hear anything close to Beastie Boys before you hear Eminem when this dude's mouth opens.

The people who defend that he doesn't sound like Em(including himself) look as stupid as someone trying to convince a muhf**ka grass ain't green. Beyond that, whether you like him is left to opinion, but I fail to understand how deaf a dude gotta be to not know that voice, swag, wordplay everything has already been patented.

Even after it's been said, y'all so busy nutriding the next greatwhitehope that you can't pay homage to the great rapper(race aside) that fathered this dude's entire style.

I betcha if Roth was black doing the exact same sh*t sounding the same way, the burbs would ride with Em then, y'all just happy that this ones from the real burbs rather than Houston, Detroit or NYC like priors.

Last edited:
You should re-read my post.

1. I never said "Asher Roth is saving/destroying Hip-Hop". I gave a GENERAL analysis of hypocrisy like, "I hate Black people but I love 2pac". Like it or not "I Love College" is ONE of the only TYPICAL/OLD-SCHOOL Hip-Hop records getting mainstream attention (i.e Sampled Drumloop, John Belushi style content, and Auto-Tune/R&B free chorus).

2. The "Urban Market" (regardless of computer access) has a history of not buying records. That's why labels are pressuring acts to create cross-overs or blatant Pop singles. Pop has always been associated with the Suburban market. This is my opinion and not fact.

3. I could careless if you were offended by opinions. Feel free to hit the ignore button if my opinions are upsetting to you.

Robot Sunset said:
DJ Drama did make Dedication 2. And right now anytime Drama or Cannon make mixtapes people always download them consistently. How come their co-sign isnt enough?

We can start at women alone........

You really think women (who make up for more then 60% of sales) are walking around bumping a DJ Drama or Don Cannon mixtape? You think women are on the internet searching for DJ Drama or Beyonce CD's?

Go up to random girls on the streets and ask them if they know who DJ Drama or Don Cannon is and then ask them if they know who Dr. Dre or Snoop Dogg and there's your answer.......

You're right about that........

But without that Urban Market, he'll never be accepted, I don't know how else to put it, it's as simple as black & white.......no pun intended.......

If you can't see it then you can't see it, at the end of the day he's a RAPPER with ZERO Urban Appeal, he'll never be in discussions like Eminem was, never will be compared or mentioned with the Waynes, T.I.'s, Game's, Jay-Z's at all because he'll need that Urban Crossover Appeal and he isn't brought over into the Urban Market by someone HIGHLY respected and famous/relevant in the Urban Market then it won't work, that simple.......

James Keaze said:
You should re-read my post.

1. I never said "Asher Roth is saving/destroying Hip-Hop". I gave a GENERAL analysis of hypocrisy like, "I hate Black people but I love 2pac". Like it or not "I Love College" is ONE of the only TYPICAL/OLD-SCHOOL Hip-Hop records getting mainstream attention (i.e Sampled Drumloop, John Belushi style content, and Auto-Tune/R&B free chorus).

2. The "Urban Market" (regardless of computer access) has a history of not buying records. That's why labels are pressuring acts to create cross-overs or blatant Pop singles. Pop has always been associated with the Suburban market. This is my opinion and not fact.

3. I could careless if you were offended by opinions. Feel free to hit the ignore button if my opinions are upsetting to you.
1. "Asher isn't getting any more "Mainstream Attention" than new artists like C. Hamilton, Kid Cudi, Wale, ect. which are considered just as "hip hop".

2. The "Urban Market" has a factual history of contributing to successful hip hop artists...T.I.? Lil Wayne? Nas? Mary J. Blige? Sure, they get that suburban fan base as well, but their success was contributed mainly to the urban community up until the point they had crossover records. Suburban kids aren't the ones responsible for the success of Carter 2, Illmatic/It was Written, What's the 411, Trap Music. If you wanna talk something other than hip hop, then we'd have a different discussion. I don't know what label dudes on, but someone in here said Loud....I assume they meant SRC? The kings of Urban Marketing?

3. I don't get that offended over a net connection, but f**k you too for your concern. J/K:cheers:

Last edited:
Back