Artists Limiting Themselves With Limited Subject Matter

What do you think of when artists limit themselves via limited subject matter? I have been cognizant since my late teens of the fact that there are people who literally have never physically left out of their "hoods" as everyone has a comfort zone and that has a negative effect on them but I also feel when rappers in the past and present say and have said they only rap about what they know it is a cliche and a copout as while I know not every artist can be eloquent, articulate and other adjectives that describe the craft of writing, having limited subject matter places people in boxes that are and can be hard to escape.

Nothing to Rap About Except Sex, Money and Crime | RapRehab

Bullshit. Content and subject matter are a type of branding. If I want a particular brand of content, I seek out a particular artist or group of artist. I don't expect a nigga like YG to rap about GMO modified crops or black enlightenment, I want that nigga shit. On the flipside, I don't expect a Pharaoh Monch to rap about ratchet ******* because that isn't what his brand is about.
This is 2014-there are plenty of artists out there that you could immerse yourself in whatever brand of content you desire without expecting everyone else to conform.
And besides, why is it only the rappers rapping about booty, drugs, and crime the ones being picked on? Why don't we get at these "conscious" rappers for not making music hood niggas can relate to?

What do you think of when artists limit themselves via limited subject matter? I have been cognizant since my late teens of the fact that there are people who literally have never physically left out of their "hoods" as everyone has a comfort zone and that has a negative effect on them but I also feel when rappers in the past and present say and have said they only rap about what they know it is a cliche and a copout as while I know not every artist can be eloquent, articulate and other adjectives that describe the craft of writing, having limited subject matter places people in boxes that are and can be hard to escape.

Nothing to Rap About Except Sex, Money and Crime | RapRehab

I didnt read the link (yet) but YES when an artist limits his subject matter he also limits his impact potential. Think of the all time greats like MJ, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, Pac, Jay Z etc...their discography displays a WIDE range of subject matter and perspectives. Even if you want to specialize in one subject area (love, gangster, strippers, political) there's still an endless array of angles you can approach it with. This promotes a pro-creative environment which in turns allow the artform to evolve and flourish instead of imprisoning itself and making the music listeners/consumers passive because they're numb to the "same old, same old".

Didn't click the link but I'm not really trying to hear Gucci Mane talk about the black plight.

Like the dude in the second post said, every artist has their niche. When I want to be on some ignorant shit, I'm gonna bump that Gucci or YG. When I want to be on some thoughtful shit, I'll go to Nas or Jay Electronica or some shit. I don't wanna hear Pharaoh Monche in the club and I don't wanna hear Chief Keef talk about Donald Sterling or some shit. It's 2014, with the internet and Aux Cords, you can literally listen to whatever you want in your whip with a nice balance.

Every rapper ain't supposed to be Pac.

Last edited:
Pumpthrust kept it real.

I don't want someone that dabbles in everything. I want my rappers to have a one-track mind and focus in one thing. When a person gets a PhD in a subject, they don't know everything. They know a whole lot about one thing. Rappers should
be the same way.

I didnt read the link (yet) but YES when an artist limits his subject matter he also limits his impact potential. Think of the all time greats like MJ, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, Pac, Jay Z etc...their discography displays a WIDE range of subject matter and perspectives. Even if you want to specialize in one subject area (love, gangster, strippers, political) there's still an endless array of angles you can approach it with. This promotes a pro-creative environment which in turns allow the artform to evolve and flourish instead of imprisoning itself and making the music listeners/consumers passive because they're numb to the "same old, same old".

I get what you're saying perfectly, It's just not every artist has that ability to have such a wide range of subject matters. Some cats try it and lose any type of cohesiveness. Others try it and sound just weird and uninteresting. If an artist has it in them to spread out their content go for it. Other than that, do you and do what feels good and sounds right to you as an artist. We don't need Migos to be Outkast you feel me.

I get what you're saying perfectly, It's just not every artist has that ability to have such a wide range of subject matters. Some cats try it and lose any type of cohesiveness. Others try it and sound just weird and uninteresting. If an artist has it in them to spread out their content go for it. Other than that, do you and do what feels good and sounds right to you as an artist. We don't need Migos to be Outkast you feel me.

Even if you want to specialize in one subject area (love, gangster, strippers, political) there's still an endless array of angles you can approach it with

Lets not confuse expanding your topic and perspective range with not staying true to who you are as an artist. And i still stand by statement that the greatest almost always have a wide range of topics and perspectives on display throughout their discography. Why? Because music listeners are real people and we go through a wide range of emotions, feelings, circumstances, victories and trials & tribulations through our lives and we look for that human connection through the music artform. That's why for example "My Mind Is Playing Tricks On Me" is considered an all-time hip hop classic is not just because the song is dope, or that its a street record...no its because it was a unique look into the paranoia state a person living "that life" deals with on a constant basis. I can go on all day but I'm sure you get the point. Shit even Too Short, king of the ******* dropped "The Ghetto" and it was a hit record, so lets stop making excuses for 1 dimensional artists that are lacking in the imagination/creativity department and call a spade a spade.

Rick Ross can make 100 songs about the dope game and never drop a record about it from the inevitable prison perspective...even when he actually WORKED in one and has real life experience to draw from. Excuses...

That's why I love Pac, He has a song for EVERYTHING. I think that makes you an artist. I understand what rappers mean when they say "they only rap about what they know" but its your job as an artist to put yourself out there and see other situations and sides of the world that's the only way you can create a big fan base that can relate to your music. If I wanted someone to listen to a 2pac song knowing they don't wanna hear disrespectful words to woman I can give them that, If they wanna get "turnt" and "ride out" lool 2pac got that too. even if they just need some time to think about life for a second 2pacs got it. That's what an artist is.

It depends. Content is a large part of branding. If you are a gangster rapper, it would be unlikely that you would speak on political issues. However, content can evolve your brand when done correctly. A gangster rapper can slowly transition to a socially conscious artist, and it correlate with the brand. Everything is strategic.

following trends and always rapping about the same shit, that's not fun at all, it's like having a real job.

Who cares more rapping about the same shit faster they stay in the shitter. **** em'.

Back