Are KRKs really worth it? **KRK ALTERNATIVES?**

M.C.-Exclusivo

Break yo'self fool!
Yo, right basically, two weeks back bought a new computer as my laptop died,(my laptop decided to reserruct later - the f*cker cost me £800(with the monitor)), this has sparked some what of a studio rebuild. Now, I'm looking towards buying myself a new mic, maybe a pre-amp with that, but first as I have intended to get some for a long time, I am looking for some good studio monitors. I'm looking at the KRK RP6 G2s, but that will set me back another £330 for a pair, and I am a rather poor student, only been producing 5 months, but rapping a year now. Are the KRKs the cheapest - but best monitors? Any long lasting alternatives, I won't be looking to replace in 2 or 3 years, with close matching sounds to the KRKs?

Thanks for any replies.

P.S. I apoligise in advance if there's a thread that will answer my question.

P.P.S. I'll be also playing my PS3 through these speakers, do you recommend I don't, or what?
:cheers:

Last edited:
im not sure about alternatives, but i've got the rokit g6's and honestly, i kinda ran out and bought them when i first thought id produce for a few reasons:
- id heard them at a dude i knew's place and they banged
- the price was right
- they looked fkn cool (hey i'm being honest here)
the only issue i've really had with them is that theyre mad bass heavy, so u make shit on them thinking that it's going to bang hardcore, and the bass is weak as piss in other monitors and normal speakers.
if i had my time again i probably wouldve gone so hs50 or hs80 (yamaha's) because ive come to realise that good tracks rely on a mix just as much as everything else and should bang in whatever speakers
i'm gunna buy some hs50s soon to complete the mixing process and have the krk's as a creative medium i guess lol, that and ill look like a fly mutha****a having 4 monitors lol
so yeah verdict: save more and get better monitors, do it right the first time.

Thanks very much for the reply! I'll take that into consideration, I heard thhe Yamahas were treble heavy though? Ain't the HS80s what Primo has in his studio at D+D? lol

EDIT: What would be the best way to get the sound from an ordinary headphone 'mini jack' into the XLR, for optimum sound?

Last edited:
If you are going to be mixing, DON'T GET THEM! They're colored monitors. The flattest monitors I've heard that are under $1,000 is Yamaha's, and Adams A7's.

Even if you had Focals, they're worthless without a well treated room.

Yeah my room isn't treated. I'm looking at the Yamahas for £400, HS80Ms look good, would go with my new paint job on the walls ;)

what monitors do you have now?????
go to GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.
room kit #1 is $550
and the rokit 8's
$500 for a pair....
these speakers will shine alot in the room that's treated
these speakers would be better
JBL LSR2328P | Sweetwater.com
$700 for a pair...
and
$550 for treatment
way better than the KRK
$1,300 roughly with wires and shipping... I don't know about you because it seems you're not in the states so things may cost more
GIK is europe and the usa
treatment of the room is very much needed
but if you're just making beats the KRK are fine just pay someone else to mix your beats..
and if you're recording ...well you need treatment or you'll have only half way decent vocals...
depending that you have a decent preamp and a vesertile mic like a SHure SM58 that works well with many voices

EDIT: What would be the best way to get the sound from an ordinary headphone 'mini jack' into the XLR, for optimum sound?

just get a stereo mini jack to L/R mono jacks... you will probably not be able to find one that goes directly to XLR, so you will probably need to get something to take you from those L/R mono jacks to the XLR's... radio shack or any music store should have that stuff.

BUT!

It will not sound particularly good... manufacturers don't put their best D/A converters into their mini headphone jacks... kind of a waste to buy new monitors and run them through your headphone jack.

just get a stereo mini jack to L/R mono jacks... you will probably not be able to find one that goes directly to XLR, so you will probably need to get something to take you from those L/R mono jacks to the XLR's... radio shack or any music store should have that stuff.

BUT!

It will not sound particularly good... manufacturers don't put their best D/A converters into their mini headphone jacks... kind of a waste to buy new monitors and run them through your headphone jack.

It would only be for the time being, not permenant.

And @fataltone, I'm going to do that in time, no point doing it in the room I'm in at the moment, looking to move out of here in 4-6 months.

Thanks for the replies!

BUT!

What should we be running them through? Thanks.

I used both krk and Behringer truth a2031, and i personally go deep into mixing and mastering, so the behringer's are the right choice if you are serious about your thing and i don't like the krk's at all, but that's my opinion :)

I got cheapy Behringer headphones - they are actually amazing considering they are the cheapest studio headphones you can get lol...

I have Rokit 5s I can get decent mixes on them but I want a better monitor personally. I wouldn't buy them again and when I get a chance to Ill likely buy a pair of Yamaha HS80s

I have HS80m, but im lookin forward to buy these krk's. for me yams are good for mastering, i need something that have more powers like krks when i tracking/producing

For producing, and just chilling, I've copped myself some cheap Sandstroms. I can't afford HS80Ms at the moment, but in two to five years when my producing game is up, I will invest more.

Back