Applying a soundfont in VST

offroadguy56

Hello.

The VST Host forum is dead/closed so I'm here instead.

I need help with the VST Host program. Or some other method to accomplish what I want.
If you can answer either question below I would be grateful. I would like whatever software i need to be free. Or at least not super expensive.

What I'm trying to do is take midi output from a midi player (like MIDITrail or Synthesia) and run it through a soundfont so I can change the instruments. I have no MIDI hardware so everything is being done in software. I already have virtual MIDI cables. I want the output after it's gone through the soundfont to come out on my PC speakers.

So, this is what I have setup so far. I have 2 MIDI sequencers, Sekaiju and Anvil. Both can output to my virtual MIDI cables. I also have 2 MIDI players, MIDITrail and Synthesia. Those also output to my MIDI cables. However none of these programs allow a soundfont or similar file to be loaded. I've been told to look into VST plugins so I grabbed VSTHost and this SF2 plugin called DSK SF2. However VSTHost is either not working or I have it all setup wrong. In short, I have no idea how to setup VSTHost. I've seen tutorials and got the basics down, but they were all for wave audio and VSTHost has different inputs/outputs and UI for MIDI and wave.

I do believe I have the SF2 plugin setup right. When I set my MIDI player to output to the cable the plugin in VST blinks red when notes are played.

I have a seperate program called BaWaMi I've been using to test, it has it's own built in synth and can accept MIDI input from a device.
MIDI player (output cable 1) --> BaWaMi (input cable 1) = sound on bawami's synth (bawami handles output to my PC speaker)
MIDI player (output cable 1) --> VSTHost + plugin (input cable 1 then output to cable 2) --> BaWaMi (input cable 2) = no detection of notes and no sound.

In theory the 2nd option should change the MIDI to a SF2 soundfont and then change again to Bawami's soundfont but it did not work.

If you need images, video, or other information let me know.

Whichever is answered doesn't matter to me. Either find out why my VST isn't working or go I go to a completely different VST or some other method.

Back