Anyway to "link" an external drive to Reason 5's sound bank?

triple_seven

I recently got an external hard drive for all my soundkits so i moved all of them in there (about 18 gigs worth of soundkits)

I was wondering if i could somehow add all these soundkits into my reason bank, but not on my Mac's Main hard drive.

So somehow is there a way to link my external H.D. to the Reason soundbank, that will only come up when the external HD is connected via usb? I dont want 20,000+ sounds on my main hard drive , because i think it will slow down my overall computer's performance , Plus if you use reason, im pretty sure its noticable how fast a sample search is when your looking through Reasons bank (Any other folder in a different location on the hard drive will be slower when you search for samples. Its not like FL studio where all the sounds are right next to you and you can hear them just by clicking or hovering over. Reason makes you use a search bar and its VERY slow, especially when you have 20,000 sounds that the program is searching through. But if the sounds are within Reason's library, the search time is alot faster. almost instant)

in the bank/drum select thing there should be on the left, pretty much everything ranging from Cdrive to the other random stuff you see in windows/mac.

What i did was make everything that i wanted to use with reason a refill, then transfer all the refills to an external HD and then put an alias of those folders back in the reason forlder. This way they were always on the left under locations when you go to create a new instrument, etc.

It pays to have a well structured file system with refills i found. If you don't have the packer just download it off propellerhead's site.

Back