ANYONE YOU EVER HAD TO RESORT TO A HARD DRIVE RECOVERY SERVICE? WAAAAAAH(crying lol)

:cry: SMH!

I have sitation going on... usually I back up my music files up but a long story short the lastest stuff I created over a few months was NOT backed up to to some issues i had going on (too much to explain). Long story short I found a company who is reasonable on pricing (i never knew recovering data from hard drives can run you up a couple G's!!!) BUT even if I get my data back there is a chance my stuff can be corrupted...

Its a gang of beats I know I can never replace an remake an mix the way I would like to, recordings of djs cutting for me, stoooopid dope drums, and samples I know that would take ah million years for me to find again (they arent songs).

Im not asking if its worth it going through this... only I can answer that. I guess im asking if anyone had any experience with going that route of going thru a recovery service... I guess I just want to hear the experiences coming from producers.

Any tricks to fix corrupted wav files? :cry: lol I feel like i been held at gun point an was told to strip! but I can only blame myself! Even though I dont have to start from scratch because I have some OLD back up files.... but of course my new stuff trumps my old ish... smh

Last edited:
Man, I feel for you.

PC or Mac? If Mac, I can't help - been too long since I did service work with a Mac to be even comfortable googling the details let alone guiding someone else.

Was the drive an OS drive or a storage drive? Different strategies for recovery depending on which it was.

Did you have anything to do with the build of your computer or any upgrades to it?

Are you comfortable with doing some tinkering to get everything back for time and sweat?

If you answered no to the last question, then pay bucks.

I've had two total failures recently (in the last 12 months - one was a power outage corrupting the OS boot, the other was the CPU dying and corrupting the open files). I do my own data recovery because I can. It's a little time consuming and there are several steps which can be frustrating until you crack the ownership/file-sharing attributes on the files. But in 99.99% of files total recovery. In my last loss, I lost only two files, and they were document files that I had recent backups of so it was simply a case of resuming from where the backup finsihed once everything was up and running.

For the most part everything I have is backed up to a WD MyBook and a LaCie Ethernet Big Disk network drive - I don't generally backup software installs as I have all the original disks and it is better to reinstall than rely on a recovery strategy (registry entries and so on).

Anyway more info and we can see what we can do to get your data back.

PC, It is a drive that was running windows xp from my older pc(an OLD HP dual core), the motherboard died in that one so I recently got a new system built now running windows7 64 bit. Of course im down to tinker :-) whats funny is when I put it in the new system the bios menu detects it but it wont load even if I set it up as the slave, if i try to boot it as the primary drive, a black screen with come up reading "disc read error" something like that. Ideas?

boot sector corrupted first.

2nd thought as a slave, maybe a conflict between 32 bit addressing and 64 bit addressing, even though ntfs is supposed to eliminate that, if the MFT on the drive is damaged then it becomes an issue.

3rd thought, got a friend with an xp machine they won't mind you attaching your drive into as a slave? - it's probably the best way around it. Taking ownership of the files and then porting them off to an external drive/DVD/Blu-Ray disc may be the quickest way to get them back

3rd thought, got a friend with an xp machine they won't mind you attaching your drive into as a slave?
^^This is a good option.^^ Another way is to buy an enclosure that turns your internal HDD into an external USB HDD. You can get one for about $30 on Amazon, just make sure you get the right size for your HDD (typical size for a desktop HDD is 3.5 & 2.5 for a laptop) This is the option I used when my motherboard blew out, now I use it as a permanent external.

I brought it to a shop and they tried to slave it to a system with XP on it. All it did was stall at the welcome screen. The guys at the shop also told me getting one of those kits to convert the drive to usb wouldnt do me any good because it is only a way to change the connection... Im thinking about going to get a kit now an still give it a shot.

what do you guys think??

Don't waste the dollars. Use them for the data recovery - sounds like it is the only option now.

The good news is that WAV files are standard enough that even if the header is lost/corrupt, if they can recover the file data, you can recover them as raw PCM audio files. But that takes some research and requires a standalone audio editor such as Audacity and is tedious work. But good luck with your data recovery.

Back