Anyone spin AMBIENT?

SnoopHoggy

Hey if anyone spins ambient in here, could you shoot some good artists and labels out? I'm really digging this stuff right now. Anything in particular to watch out for in terms of mixing it? Anything special you can do with just ambient tracks?

Thanks
sho

Can't believe no one has replied to this! I was hoping for some stuff too!
The only 'ambient' stuff I have really is cafe del mar type stuff - Jose Padilla in particular. Vol one of that never ending comilation series is still the best one I reckon. As for tips on mixing - well I find I just blend one track into the other which is a bit boring!

Hey kids, depends on how 'ambient' you wanna take it... do you mean pure ambient? as in... soundscapes without any beats whatsoever? or beat ambient/downtempo, which has beats, but is still relaxing and texturey? do you want it really danceable? kinda danceable? or not danceable at all and basically is being played to a room fulla vegetating drugged people. (IE the local seniors centre, they love ambient.)

check out people from the labels of Force Tracks, Force Inc, Mille Plateaux, Kitty Yo, Rephlex, Mole Listening Pearls.... thats a start for you. from there you can probably refine your idea of what 'ambient' means to you and build up a record collection surrounding that sound which to you, means 'ambient'. but it's different for everybody.

cheers and let me know what kinds of goodies you find, (artists, tracks, labels)

Can't believe no one has replied to this! I was hoping for some stuff too!
The only 'ambient' stuff I have really is cafe del mar type stuff - Jose Padilla in particular.

Cafe Del Mar???? Are you serious??? Don't waste your time with generic house beats and call it "ambient"... If you want proper ambient music listen to the obvious: Brian Eno and Nicolas Jaar....
Massive Attack and The Flashbulb are also good.

Back