AnyBody Got Any Mixing Techniques?!

The most basic thing I can suggest is that you learn mix technique. Do your best to not move around too much when recording. Doesn't mean that you have to be stiff, but 6-8 inches should be what you aim for. That distance is just a guideline that you should adjust as necessary. Most microphones are affected by something called a "proximity effect." Part of it is that your levels are higher the closer you are to the microphone. I know that's like a "duh" comment, but part of it is also that the closer you are, the more bass of your voice that the microphone captures. One technique to keep in mind is that getting closer to the microphone will capture more of the lows from your voice, and inversely, getting further away captures less low frequencies.

Get it done right to begin with, so that you can eq as little as possible in the mixing stage.

Thanks and i gotta learn how to compress first.. i usually use the mastering preset.
I use delay sometimes and @sleepy thanks for the info

Monitor at low volume levels. Don't mix with the sound cranked. Your system will respond better, your ears will respond better, and it forces you to make the music sound good without using loudness as a crutch. If it sounds good quiet, it will sound great loud.

^^^Word.^^^

i use cubase but im sure audition has most of the filters cubase does, i wont give you exact numbers of what i use for each filter as your voice is different from mine so it will need different presets etc. but heres what i run it through

First: DeNoiser
Second: Gate (to give it a nice clean lead vocal sound)
Third: EQ (before compression)
Fourth: Compression
Fifth: DeEsser (you might not need it)
Sixth: Limiter

If you dont know what some of the filters do than research it, on top of all that i ussually dont stack my vocals but i stack the adlibs and pan them.

Last edited:
Back