Anybody ever feel bad about looping something?

Never because as history is shown it can be done very dope and it also could be wack. You just have to take it case by case. I do it only if it fits for what I'm creating at the time.

I can't stand loops.
To me it's a waste of a sample to not get in there and really chop it up but to each his/her own.

Peace
Go tell that to Pete Rock, DJ Premier, 9th Wonder, Buckwild, Havoc, and all of the other legendary producers that have looped.

I always look to chop a sample up first as well, but to say looping is a "waste" is truly an insult to hip-hop. I mean, come on; Illmatic was basically composed entirely of loops.

Last edited:
Go tell that to Pete Rock, DJ Premier, 9th Wonder, Buckwild, Havoc, and all of the other legendary producers that have looped.

I always look to chop a sample up first as well, but to say looping is a "waste" is truly an insult to hip-hop. I mean, come on; Illmatic was basically composed entirely of loops.

Co-Sign.

Some of the greatest tracks are looped. Anyone who thinks otherwise is on some elitist, abstract ish and doesn't really understand how Hip-Hop came to be. What to me defines a dope producer is one who is able to chop sh!t up and make it tight, but also have an ear to know when you gotta just let the sample rock.

This isn't a tricks and skills competition.

That last track on Yeezus is so simple and bare.. but it's genius and so dope.

That being said, I would hate on anyone taking a more modern song, pitching it and adding a clap to say it's their production. That's not right IMO.

And which one of those legendary producers are you?
Exactly......this has nothing to do with what someone else does this is about what you do.
That's why i said I.

Some of my all time favorite producers loop but when i sample,i chop more than loops.
Do you.........and i'll do me.

Peace

well, i loop most of the times. Cause it sounds more natural.
but i always add my own synths/keys and bassline etc.
so i am able to still make it sound like something new and of my own witouth ruining the Original sample.

Check it out, i made this beat with only a drumbreak and played everything on top of it:

https://soundcloud.com/markbruggeman/drumbreak

And which one of those legendary producers are you?
Exactly......this has nothing to do with what someone else does this is about what you do.
That's why i said I.

Some of my all time favorite producers loop but when i sample,i chop more than loops.
Do you.........and i'll do me.

Peace
I think it's pretty funny how you're misinterpreting what everyone is saying in this thread. Either that or you realize what you said is incredibly stupid and you're trying to backtrack.

You said looping is a waste. Therefore, you are saying that Pete Rock, DJ Premier, etc. have "wasted" beats before by looping. We get it; you chop. Good for you. You know what? So do I, but I'd never be shortsighted or ignorant enough to say that looping is a "waste."

Get off your high horse.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty funny how you're misinterpreting what everyone is saying in this thread. Either that or you realize what you said is incredibly stupid and you're trying to backtrack.

You said looping is a waste. Therefore, you are saying that Pete Rock, DJ Premier, etc. have "wasted" beats before by looping. We get it; you chop. Good for you. You know what? So do I, but I'd never be shortsighted or ignorant enough to say that looping is a "waste."

Get off your high horse.

Learn how to read first and then reply dumbass.
I know what I said and what I meant because I said it.
No need for me to backtrack,if you can't understand what i said then that's on you.

It's funny how you cocksuckers always want to put words in my mouth,Pete Rock and those others had nothing to do with the original topic.I said I and that's what I meant.

peace

Last edited:
looping and chopping is cool...looping and chopping samples actually helped me tremendously because it helped me learn and aided me in my practice of making my OWN original composures..

Learn how to read first and then reply dumbass.
I know what I said and what I meant because I said it.
No need for me to backtrack,if you can't understand what i said then that's on you.

It's funny how you cocksuckers always want to put words in my mouth,Pete Rock and those others had nothing to do with the original topic.I said I and that's what I meant.

peace
You said looping is a "waste." Anyone at a first-grade reading level can see that. I understand that it's what YOU like to do, but my whole point was that the greatest producers of all-time have looped and, thus, to call it a "waste" is ignorant and an insult to some of the greatest songs (and albums) in hip-hop history, regardless of whether or not it's your opinion.

I guess if you were one of the dudes there while Nas was recording Illmatic, you would have told him that all of the beats were a waste. I find that pretty freaking hilarious, and I also think you're coming across as a condescending prick.

Anyway, I'm done with this. My point has been made.

Last edited:
Na I hate loops, I used to when i first started out and then realized it was too easy and this can't be right. I chop my loops up now or do something to do it for sure, just looping something for me is out of the question, especially if I'm trying to get noticed. If ur already big like Diddy then loop whatever u want it don't matter, but I think if you're trying to get noticed you need to impress, and I'm never impressed with loopsed beats, only thing that shows me is you found a good sample and know how to loop it.

I'm more impressed when someone makes chops and puts it back together like a puzzle

Not trying to defend Soul Ghost or side with anyone, but I think this new era of producers look at things wrong because they're given templates and examples from the past.

I think(can't speak for him)all he was trying to say was "challenge yourself and do more".

With all the sampling capabilities in software of today, you should definitely do more than just making something loop 9/10 times.

Some of your examples are off too. "Stakes is High" for example was chooped to shyt. For the purpose of timing to the beat to keep the perceived "loop' fluent. Then either filtering or replaying(pretty sure filtering)was done to create a bassline and variation in the song. When this song was made, all those chops would've had to be played manually. Today something like Ableton or Recycle on the right settings would line and chop for you. So, today, in all honesty that could've just been auto chopped and looped.

But notice you don't hear 1 loose piano or bongo in that sampled "loop" because they were the dragged out elements at the end of the chops that would've ruined the timing unless you pitched the sample to "chipmunk capacities" or slowed the tempo making "Stakes is High" into a trap beat, lol.

Even after saying all that, I stick to my original statement. If it just sounds good looped, go for it. But stakes is high, as "loopy' as it sounds by todays standards was far from just a "loop". Many tracks from Pete Rock and Primo fall into the same category...chopped, but not rearranged.

Last edited:
i don't like looping and don't really do it. but it's nothing to feel bad about, hip-hop was built on loops (djs spinning back the breaks.)

If the sample is good enough, you don't need to chop it. I only chop samples if I want to really get crazy with it. I can see people chopping a sample if it's been used a lot. I've also heard the same loop be used sound different with a few added a few effects.

I ****ing love old loops, and i don´t think it´s wrong. The whole thing started with people just using instrumentals (B-sides) So don´t feel bad about it. Chopping is dope too, but you need you too practice it more, before it gets that old school swing. Dj premier is one of the best at chopping, but the beats he made to "Daily operation", and "Step in the arena" Also contains lots of loops.

being concerned with what you should and shouldn't be doing with YOUR music is a waste of mental energy. go forth and loop. this is about your creativity and nothing else.

When producing a record my #1 goal is for the song to be dope. Whatever needs to be done looping, chopping, live instruments etc to get there is what matters. Sometimes ya loop, sometimes ya chop whatever sounds best.

And I think that what people did yearsssssss shouldn't matter. They did what they with what they had at the time. Back in the day recording radio to tape was also "amazing",
so no doubt Peter Rock and all the legends paved the way and did their thing and did it well.

I'm just saying in our day and age it's a little less acceptable when we have the tools and resources to take it to another level or be more creative. Because I can't lie, when I did start out, I would loop a sample and throw some drums on it, but I always felt bad. Knowing I have all the vst's and samplers and sounds etc, but all I did was loop something in 10-15 mins

Back