AMD Phenom vs. AMD FX ( ? )

CPhoenix

CharlesAllen/ BMR Studios
I'm considering upgrading my computer again... most likely by Christmas time thing year. Not the whole thing... just the motherboard and CPU (like that's a little bit lol).

I get good performance out of my current setup. It's a quad core AMD Phenom II, 3.2GHz ocerclocked to 3.8GHz. So I want to upgrade moreso out of pleasure, and not out of necessity. I recently learned that my DAW (Studio One) will recognize and utilize more than 4 cores (I believe it's up to 16), so this intriques me lol to say the least.

I want to know if anybody has any experience in regards to the new AMD FX processors, and how they may relate to the Phenom processors. From what I gather, the FX's additional cores are great for multitasking items, but the single core performance is actually not as good as the Phenom, so it might be a wash. One the other hand... the highest available cores on the Phenom is 6 cores, and they cut down the CPU on the newest models to about 2.7GHz. I'm not looking to take a step back on clocking speeds lol, unless the overall performance w/ the 2 additional cores is just that much better.

My goal is to get my latency and CPU performance meters to an all time low. I'm not 100% confident either of these choices would do that better than what I already have. I could try find a 3.3GHz Phenom 6 core, but it would have to be off Ebay... newegg doesn't even have it listed anymore, which makes me a little nervous about it.

Anybody have any thoughts? Apparently Win 8 is supposed to have an architecture more suitable for the FX processors, but still.... the verdict is out.

Hopefully by purchase time they'll have come out with a clearcut processor that would be a noticeable improvement over the Phenoms for music. Not like they're bad.... I just always want more! lol... (when I can afford it of course. Need that joy!)

I wouldn't recommend AMD chips for music. They just don't match up with Intel at the same price point.

Back