Amanda Palmer Talks Twitter: 'It's Replaced Google and Management'

Kendall143

This lady got $1,000,0000 dollars from Donations from her fans.

Twitter has replaced Google and management. I can ask my fans for help. Like, "we need to borrow an acoustic guitar for a radio promotion that just popped up. Can someone bring me a guitar?" In the old days you'd have to call your management company or a local promoter, whoever was on the ground to help you that day. This way some cool fan of yours shows up with an acoustic guitar and they are really happy. You would be happy because you don't have to run around or pay for it.

What mistakes do you see people make on Twitter?

Bands in general don't personalize the information. You need to make sure there's a balance between the business information and the real-life information. The stuff you're sharing should be about what you're doing -- the silly stuff you come across, the views you want to share, the details about your process. There needs to be a balance between that random interesting stuff and "hey, we've got a show or we have a single out." If that's all you're broadcasting, there's nothing interesting worth following. And you'll find even with the huge artists who a lot of people have an interest in, if you look at their feed and all it is is a one way stream of info, they won't have a lot of followers because there's not a lot of interesting information.

Amanda Palmer Talks Twitter: 'It's Replaced Google and Management' | Billboard.biz

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned that HipHop has devalued itself so much that other genres are still riding full force. Having more constructive conversations about the game , rather than the gossip of the game helps. Its all in your hands new generation.

Last edited:
THIS IS EXACTLY THE POWER OF INTERACTION!!!!!!!!

THIS IS WHAT YOUR FANS WANT FROM YOU!!!!

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I TEACH MY CLIENTS!!!!!!

It's not rocket science.

Exactly, Its not rocket science. I've implemented these things into my company and I can tell you my Alternative Rock side is doing good.
The only Hip-Hop group I can think of that comes close - Public Enemy. They made 500,000 from fans to fund a new album

Last edited:
Exactly, Its not rocket science. I've implemented these things into my company and I can tell you my Alternative Rock side is doing good.
The only Hip-Hop group I can think of that comes close - Public Enemy. They made 500,000 from fans to fund a new album

It's not even so much about getting them to GIVE YOU MONEY. It's about mobilizing your fanbase. It's about interacting with them. It's about having that RELATIONSHIP with them.

That's what they crave. That's what's going to make them buy everything that you're associated with.

Tweeting shit like "yo, everybody come to the bathroom in 15 minutes and we're gonna have a jam session.

Little shit like that...that personal interaction is what fans crave. They could really give a shit about your music. They want a relationship with you.

Thing is...just ONE interaction with a fan like that...could make that person a fan FOR LIFE. They'll remember it for YEARS!

It's not about music but about Twitter...

The bald guy from the UFC tells people "if you didn't hear if from me on Twitter, don't believe it". He hates reporters because he said they try to twist words to make an interesting story to boost their careers. He said "F that, I'll tell you who's fighting who and where and I'll get you on the guest list if I run a contest on Twitter." He has 2 million followers and they talk DIRECTLY to the people. The reporters hate it because they know he doesn't need them. All they do is promote Twitter. They get on late at night and chop it up with the fans and ask ish like "Who do you guys want to see next?" and they go and do what the people want. He even has Twitter bonuses for the fighters, whomever gains the most new followers in a month gets $5000 tax free.

All of these tools that are around now are a plus for the digital entrepreneur.

The only hard part is keeping people interested. They still would rather follow a star than a person they deem "just like them".

Twitter is great. The hard part if building that fanbase and getting randoms to interact on a real level most of the time but yeah being a random net personality is not the shit anymore.

Stars don't talk to people though. People like having conversations with people on twitter.

The problem is, most people use their twitter to talk AT people (randomly saying shit), instead of talking TO people.

Like they are too good to respond to someone's tweets, and everyone has to respond to their tweets.

Stars don't talk to people though. People like having conversations with people on twitter.

The problem is, most people use their twitter to talk AT people (randomly saying shit), instead of talking TO people.

Like they are too good to respond to someone's tweets, and everyone has to respond to their tweets.
exactly. I aint a star i generally reply to all tweets unless its inappropriate. It might take a day or so if I log off for the day (I dont live on twitter) but ill get back to you eventually lol

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

We live in a "what can you do for me?" world. That's why people don't respond to everyone.
its also why funny cat pics on Facebook get more replies than new music

So would you say (image) has as taken a front seat to the music. In hiphop.

yes

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Amanda Palmer is only popular because of old media. She had videos played on mtv back when mtv played videos. She was also one of the 1st artists verified/promoted by twitter. Twitter's guts were different back in 2007. That's how some artists have millions of follows and other famous artists only have 250,000.

Back