Altering Pitch of a Sample with out changing playback speed[HELP]

JoErOe

I am currently working on a track where im trying to change the pitch of a vocal sample with out altering the speed at which the sample plays. "CHOPPING and SCREWING" if you will. Im using Reason5 and am trying to accomplish this with the NN-XT. although an pitch altering their seems to change speed. Anyone with any suggestions?? any help welcome!

I have no idea about what software can do these days or what software people are using... but back in the day this was achieved using timestretch... but this did have an audible effect on the sample, which was sometimes desirable... it was first done on hardware samplers but soon available in software editors and even sequencers...

i have have an ancient version of wavelab (windows 98) which as well as being capable of timestretch, i'm sure it offers pitch shift without altering speed... (maybe achieved via the timestretch process, not sure exactly)

should not be hard to achieve in this day and age with the software available...

Last edited:
im not a fan of reason tho
i could help you out in fl studio
or : just send me the sample you want pitched

i've been using Reason for a while now, currently using 7. From what I know, you can't alter the pitch without altering the speed. What I do is get the sample and import it into Audacity, and use the Change pitch feature, then re-upload it into the nn-xt or nn19.

In Reason 7, you canm just highlight the audio clip and turn up the "transpose". Nothing will change but the pitch.

No way to to the same in 5 using the NNXT because it adjusts pitch/time simultaneously.

Anyone regularly working with samples using Reason should definitely upgrade to 7. It pays for itself easily with the sampling capabilities now included. I don't have to outsource for anything while making a beat now.

In FL's Slicex you get errors if you copy the sample. Anybody else having this problem.
It seems to happen faster when i use time-stretch/real time pitch-shifting

JoeRoe, there's no way to do what your asking in the NN-XT. I've asked Propellerhead if they could add timestretch to the NNXT but they say they don't add features to old devices.

NNXT would be a monster if it had timestretch and midi-mapable remote features within the device.

Reason 7 can time-stretch though. It's a lot of work repitching/retiming your samples then importing back into the nnxt but that's probally the best way to do it man. Good luck.

^^^Just drag/drop the sample. Click the "+" sign in front of "transpose" click "bounce clip to new recordings", open NNXT and load from your "assigned samples" folder(which is in you "favorites").

Sounds like alot, but it's a total of 5 mouse clicks.

Back