All-in-One Midi Keyboard or Midi Keyboard w/Separate Pads

Choppa'

The Mechanic
Hey guys,

I've been a long time lurker but finally decided to join. I did some searching on this topic but didn't really come up with anything specific. Anyways, I was hell bent on getting an Akai mpk49/61 but then heard of some people getting a cheaper keyboard (M-audio Oxygen, M-audio Keyrig, Alesis QX series) and adding either an MPD or Korg PadKontrol and having a better/cheaper setup than getting just an MPK midi keyboard for $379(mpk49) - $499(mpk61). I'm leaning a little towards getting a PadKontrol and an M-Audio Oxygen 49 and only paying $345. That way I can get a controller with all the sliders, functions, and knobs, and a 16 pad controller with good feeling pads. What do you guys think is the best setup? Also, what setup are you using and do you enjoy it or would you do something different if you had to do it all over again?

Thanks

btw I'm using FL Studio now but I am planning on trying out Ableton Live soon

I much prefer a modular studio setup as opposed to using all-in-one solutions, although all-in-one solutions ideal in regard to portability.

Having two independent controllers will allow you to assign each to an independent instrument or effect, you will have additional MIDI ports as both devices will function as MIDI interfaces, you can also position them however it suits you and should something go wrong with one it will not render the other useless.

In addition to my main keyboard (an old Roland JV-80 that I use via conventional MIDI connections) I also use a Korg PadKontrol and a modified Behringer UMX-49.

Back