Akai S-900/950 question

Currently ive gotta mpc2000xl to do all my production. Im thinkin about getting an old 12 bit sampler like a s900 or a s950 fo drums to get that dirty gritty sound. is there any way to be able to transfer sounds from a s900/950 to an mpc withou having to deal with floppies cuz i upgraded to cf cards on my 2kxl

I would recommend making use of the A/D and D/A converters (audio in and out) to retain the sampler's Mojo rather than resort to file swapping, but if you did want to transfer data from a standard S900/S950 then you have two options, floppy disk or MIDI. Floppy is the fastest method but it relies on your computer's ability to work with Akai floppies, there are a few programs for the PC, but my experience is limited to swapping disks between my S950 and Atari ST. The second transfer option is called a MIDI sample dump and the original idea behind the protocol was to enable the transfer of a sample from one sampler to another via MIDI cables and it soon also became the standard way to transfer samples to a computer for editing, unfortunately the transfer speed of a MIDI sample dump is notoriously slow.

You can connect the output of the S900/S950 up to your MPC or if you can transfer waves files from your computer to your MPC via CF cards you might want to connect the output of the S900/S950 to your computer instead.

I prefer the S950 due to it's expansion options, but only when actually expanded, the HD floppy drive is a plus and so is the improved OS, it is possible to boot the S900 with a floppy disk containing the improved S9V4.0 OS provided you have OS 1.2 to begin with.

re

950s have a filter so for some that is important. 950 has some wierd time stretching also but its more the walk off for 5 minutes and see what happens old school type that is hit or miss. seems like my 950s have more sample time than my 900s. in general they sound and work the same. I keep a 900 by the vinyl just to chop on and make basic programs. Then I just take discs to use on the 950s i keep in the main studio for actual working. why even "send sounds" to the mpc? I would use them both since they are dif sounding and that also gives you more sample time.

Back