Akai MPK49 and Reason please read!

You can use Vyzex to save your presets and load 'em [The software that comes with the mpk49]. Just reloaded the default presets after messing around. I've pretty much mastered most of the mpk49. I just have to develop a better technique.

Hey all... this thread is very useful (just got my mpk a few days ago). I'm brand new to this game, but I'm finding myself working through the basics slowly but surely.

My mpk can with 1.03 pre-installed, so I didn't have to worry about a firmware upgrade. I also have Reason 4 update that auto-detects the keyboard. I'm finding the Reason preset on the mpk very useful for a beginner such as myself.

Quick question though- what is the keyboard's Reason preset assignment for navigating up and down the rack? The MPK manual states "Program Change"... does "Program Change" refer to what I'm talking about? Or does it mean going from Reason to another app like Logic?

If I have to manually assign this command, what is the Control #? I printed out the Reason 4 MIDI Controller Chart and I'm fairly certain (with my amateur knowledge of MIDI) that this only lists parameter edits within a specific device.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I don't use reason as my main software so i"m not familiar with the key commands, but program change should change betweem nn-xt, thor, etc. I could be wrong but that it was it sounds like.

confused

i did everything here right for the mac but it still says it is not cannot find a device when i hit auto-detect. help!!! im trying to sync up my record button and tap tempo with reason 4.0. thanks

Update Your Reason 4. The reason 4 Update supports the MPK49 and MPD32 and will auto-detect. Easy Fix.

Waddup fam,
1st of all i just wanted to say thx for this post alone!!!!
i have been searching and serch'n for help with setup and this place has more Q&A than anyplace 4real.
Can someone help with setting up mpk with Fl studio
thx:)

if your trying to use one shot with reason all you have to do is turn the release all the way up in DR REX and the Poly to 1. this will cause each chop to play through until another pad is struck.

How do you program in reason useing mpk49
i am trying to go thru differant patches in malsrom from mpk49
thx

First time posting, short time reader.. Alot of help.. I got the mpk49 as a bday gift and its giving me headaches... Can't do jack...Scratch that.. I can use the key and pads but no record...No repeat... Fustrating when u think u can just plug and play but u can't..AHHHH!!!
I am using FL 7
PC Windows Vista

i just got a mpk49 a few days ago and finally got things up and running. i noticed a lot of people have trouble with reason and midi clock. i find that reason wont work with the mpk set to external so i switched it to internal and set reason to midi clock and the note repeat and the arp seems to work and reason even follows the tempo i set in the mpk. with the other programs external works fine and note repeat and arp seem to be synced.

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]Windows Vista[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Bold]

[FONT=Arial,Bold]Double-click the
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Bold]Computer [/FONT]icon on the desktop, then double-click [FONT=Arial,Bold]Local[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Bold]Disk (C:)[/FONT].
2. Towards the upper-left of the window, select the [FONT=Arial,Bold]Organize [/FONT]menu, and
choose [FONT=Arial,Bold]Folder and Search Options [/FONT](see below).
3. At the top of the window that opens, select the [FONT=Arial,Bold]View [/FONT]tab.
4. In the list titled [FONT=Arial,Bold]Advanced settings [/FONT]double-click the [FONT=Arial,Bold]Show hidden files[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Bold]and folders [/FONT]option (see below).
5. Click [FONT=Arial,Bold]Apply[/FONT], then click [FONT=Arial,Bold]OK[/FONT]. The [FONT=Arial,Bold]Folder Options [/FONT]window will close.

6. The

[FONT=Arial,Bold]Akai Reason Remote Files​
folder (the same folder where you found[/FONT]
this guide) contains two folders: [FONT=Arial,Bold]Lua Codecs​
and [FONT=Arial,Bold]Maps[/FONT]. Open the [FONT=Arial,Bold]Lua[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Bold]Codecs [/FONT]folder.
7. Copy the folder titled [FONT=Arial,Bold]Akai [/FONT]into the following directory on your computer:
[FONT=Arial,Bold]C:\Program Data\Propellerhead Software\Remote\Codecs\Lua[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Bold]Codecs[/FONT]
8. Next, in the

[FONT=Arial,Bold]Akai Reason Remote Files [/FONT]folder, open the folder titled
[FONT=Arial,Bold]Maps[/FONT]
9. Copy the

[FONT=Arial,Bold]Akai [/FONT]folder to the following directory on your computer:
[FONT=Arial,Bold]C:\Program Data\Propellerhead Software\Remote\Maps[/FONT]
10. Open Reason and select the

[FONT=Arial,Bold]Edit [/FONT]menu from the top of the screen, and
open [FONT=Arial,Bold]Preferences[/FONT].
11. Using the pull-down menu at the top of the Preferences window, choose
[FONT=Arial,Bold]Control Surfaces And Keyboards​
[/FONT]
12. Click the [FONT=Arial,Bold]Add [/FONT]button.
13. Select [FONT=Arial,Bold]Akai [/FONT]from the Manufacturer list.
14. Set the [FONT=Arial,Bold]In Port [/FONT]to [FONT=Arial,Bold]USB Audio Device[/FONT]
15. Set the

[FONT=Arial,Bold]Out Port [/FONT]to [FONT=Arial,Bold]USB Audio Device [2][/FONT]
16. Click [FONT=Arial,Bold]Ok [/FONT]and then close the [FONT=Arial,Bold]Preferences [/FONT]window. You're all set!
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been addressed but, if you want to have the one shot pads set up like an mpc and use Dr.Rex instead of having to pick all the chops for redrum.. on the Dr.Rex player.. on the Amp envelope botom right.. there are 4 adjusters labled A D S R... turn the R one all the way up.. this adjusts the release.. If you also want it to cut off the slice playing when you hit another pad.. turn the polyphony down to 1.

For me personally if i hear a song and im feelin the vibe and i wanna know the tempo, i can play the song and use the tap tempo button and get the tempo that way.

Also it kinda bugs me that i have something on my keyboard i cant use.

If you want to put the tap tempo on the MPK to use to find tempos of songs.. press edit the hit the tap tempo button... press down on the nob when the screen says tempo.. this will show you the tempo it is set at. You can then tap away and it will display the tempo as you tap.

Troubles with Reason 3 & Akai Mpk49

Greetings from France!
I've been using an Akai mpk49 with reason 3 for about 2 years with no problem at all. But two months ago, my Akai started to send faders signals all by herself randomly. For example, while playin the piano,some parameters (levels, nn-19 settings...) moves by themselves and it drives me crazy.
Does anyone have the same problem, suggestions?
Thanks!

Wat up y'all greetings from Australia,got the mpk49 and am using it with reason 5. setup the controller settings in reason it has the keyboard already there to select.the play record faders work but the keys dont?? Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Wat up y'all greetings from Australia,got the mpk49 and am using it with reason 5. setup the controller settings in reason it has the keyboard already there to select.the play record faders work but the keys dont?? Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.
I have the same problem, just not receiving notes... everything else seems fine

Back