Akai MPK49 and Reason please read!

This is a heads up for anyone trying to use the akai mpk49 with reason. Akai emailed me and let me know there is a misprint in the manual for using the mpk49 with reason. So hopefully no one spends hours trying to do this like me before finding this out, lol. here is a copy of the emails.....the first part is for windows and the bottom part is for mac

Hi Chris,

Sorry, there was a misprint in the manual.
Before the MPK49 can be used with Reason 4.0, setup files will need to be
copied from the MPK49 installation CD to your computer.

Please Perform The Following:

1. Place the three files contained in the "Software Preset FilesReason
4.0CodecsLua Codecs" folder on the CD into the following directory on your
computer:

C:Documents and settingsAll UsersApplication DataPropellerhead
SoftwareRemoteCodecsLua CodecsAkai
Note: If there is no folder named Akai in the location aboce, you
will need to create the Akai folder manually.

2. Place the Akai folder contained in "Software Preset FilesReason
4.0Maps" into the following directory

C:Documents and settingsAll UsersApplication DataPropellerhead
SoftwareRemoteMaps

3. Open Reason, go to EDIT/PREFERENCES, and select Control Surfaces and
Keyboards.
4. Press Auto-Detect Surface.

Best Regards,
Justin Baro

Here it is if you are you using a mac.

Hey Chris,

This will enable transport functions also. On a Mac, the setup is:

Place the three files contained in the "Software Preset FilesReason
4.0CodecsLua Codecs" folder on the CD into the following directory on your
computer:
(drive):USERS: (USER NAME): LIBRARY : APPLICATION SUPPORT : PROPELLERHEAD
SOFTWARE : REMOTE

Note: If there is no folder named Akai in the location above, you will need
to create the Akai folder manually.

Place the Akai folder contained in "Software Preset FilesReason 4.0Maps"
into the following directory
SOFTWARE : MAPS

Open Reason, go to EDIT/PREFERENCES, and select Control Surfaces and
Keyboards.
Press Auto-Detect Surface.

the Akai Maps folder would need to go in the
SOFTWARE : REMOTE folder.

For the pads, unfortunately they cannot be set to 'one shot' like on the
MPC's.

Best Regards,
Justin Baro

LevLove said:
Did he say that the pads CAN NOT be set to 'one shot' like on the MPC's?

yes, he said they can not, sounds dissapointing at first, but when I loaded my own .wav sounds into redrum they played like one shot, when I played drums in garageband they didn't. so I think that really depends on what you have your release set to.

yall lucky i had the firmware problem with my mpk so right now i cant even use it untill they email me the web site to get the correct firmware

Yea, I ain't gone lie i been waiting for the last 2 years for this mpk joint. i made the purchase quick n fast. I used to use the MPC 2000XL with Reason (a big headache if you want your midi data in Reason) but this mpk has caught up to the direction everything is going.

City i am going to be calling Akai on Monday on that & time signature issues. (tempo incl.)
if anyone know how to get the midi sync perfect holla

Last edited by a moderator:
citycity777 said:
does anyone know how to set up midi in reason 4.0 so that tap temp on the mpk49 works and controls reason

I'm pretty sure that the tap tempo button does not send midi data and is only used to set the tempo on the mpk locally to adjust the timing of the note repeat for the pads and the arpeggiator

As far as the firmware, it can be found here (version 1.03 is the most current):
h**p://www.akaipro.com/supportos.php#MPK49

eazyF said:
I'm pretty sure that the tap tempo button does not send midi data and is only used to set the tempo on the mpk locally to adjust the timing of the note repeat for the pads and the arpeggiator

As far as the firmware, it can be found here (version 1.03 is the most current):
h**p://www.akaipro.com/supportos.php#MPK49

Your totally correct. I was under the impression (so was the Akai tech) that it sends data but its just to sync your timing. Works great, my timing issues are now resolved.

How does the note repeat feature work for you guys? In programs like Cubase and Reason.

Alright, so I bought this thing about a week ago and should be getting it today or tomorrow. I have a question. First of all after watching the videos on youtube and stuff about it the akai guy can controll absolutley everything without even touching a mouse. can you do this with using the usb output or do you have to use the actuall midi out? I want to work it exactly like he does. Now after reading this thread im kinda getting worried.

Hello,
I just purchased this mpk49. my PC wont respond at all. i finally updated the firm ware and now the LCD works. but it really seems that there are issues with this. however people are indeed using it. so before i return it, someone please..HELP!!!!! how do i get started

Oh yeah, and i'll point out that i'm not very computer savy.which is probably why it didnt just start working when i plugged it in.

Last edited:
Mine works great. However you do need MIDI cables iff your trying to use this without clicking your mouse. I personally just run everything thru USB. I was wondering the same thing about the tap/tempo button.

Overall I love it!! The pads could be better though.

ImTime said:
why would u need tempo tap on a computer program?

For me personally if i hear a song and im feelin the vibe and i wanna know the tempo, i can play the song and use the tap tempo button and get the tempo that way.

Also it kinda bugs me that i have something on my keyboard i cant use.

Mr West said:
Mine works great. However you do need MIDI cables iff your trying to use this without clicking your mouse. I personally just run everything thru USB. I was wondering the same thing about the tap/tempo button.

Overall I love it!! The pads could be better though.

Thanks mr west,

Sorry for being so vauge. Specifically, I am trying to use the MPK with reason 4 via USB. I have down loaded the firmware and have gone into edit/preferences. and the Akai doesn't even show up as an option to add. Maybe its my PC. I do however hear that many others had the same problem. I really don't want to return this Controller.

BR7 said:
Thanks mr west,

Sorry for being so vauge. Specifically, I am trying to use the MPK with reason 4 via USB. I have down loaded the firmware and have gone into edit/preferences. and the Akai doesn't even show up as an option to add. Maybe its my PC. I do however hear that many others had the same problem. I really don't want to return this Controller.

You need to update your Reason 4 in order for Reason to automatically recognize the MPK. Otherwise you gotta set it up as a generic controller.

I think thats what your issue is.

Using Auto-Detect Surface Controller Without Updating To 4.01

Mr West said:
You need to update your Reason 4 in order for Reason to automatically recognize the MPK. Otherwise you gotta set it up as a generic controller.

(FOR MAC ONLY)
Using the auto-detect control surfaces feature without upgrading to Reason 4.01 and have it actually work.

FIRST INSTALL YOUR MAP AND REMOTE FILES (this method is tested and works)
to install the map and remote files.
download the newest files from the akai website in support labeled reason remote files. and do the following

From the downloaded file, place the remote files and the map file in following file on your mac:
HD/users/YOUR USER NAME/library/application support/propellerhead software/Remote
The files to place in the remote file will be the following:
AkaiMPK49_402.remotemap
AkaiMPK49_406.lua
AkaiMPK49_406.luacodec
MPK49_reason.png

You do not need to create any folders, just place those files in the remote folder. All i have had to do is some small editing to customize it how i like it.

In order to use the auto-detect control surfaces in reason 4.0 (and have it actually find the mpk49 without using a generic)
1: go macupdates.com download the reason 4.01 update demo.
2: rename your old reason.app file to something like reason.old and drag the new reason demo file (just the app file itself not the sound bank and orkester bank) to the reason folder in your applications folder.
3: once you have done that, start it up the 4.01 demo, close it down then delete it.
4: now rename your reason.old back to just reason and start it up.
5: go to preferences > Keyboards and Control Surfaces > and click find. It will auto-detect your mpk.

this worked for me. i found this out just playing around with it.

SIMPLE TEMPO SYNC FIX (Hopefully Akai will come up with a real fix)
Keep the MPK global MIDI setting to Internal
Keep the Reason MIDI setting to internal
set your tempo in reason, turn on the metronome (CLICK) and click record so you can get your clicks.
on the mpk just tap the temp with reason and your set.
your tempo light will be blinking with reason, and your set to use the arppeggiator and latch function pretty flawlessly.

***UPDATE****
This is straight from the reason 4 manual. If you are currently trying to sync reason as a master midi clock to send temp to your mpk49 it will not work.

What is Synchronization and MIDI Clock?
Synchronization, in this context, is when you make Reason play at the same tempo as
another device; where both start, stop and can locate to certain positions, together.
This is done by transmitting MIDI Clock signals between Reason and the other de-
vice. MIDI Clock is a very fast “metronome” that can be transmitted in a MIDI cable. As
part of the MIDI Clock concept there are also instructions for Start, Stop and locating
to sixteenth note positions.
You can set up synchronization between Reason and hardware devices (tape record-
ers, drum machines, stand alone sequencers, workstations etc.) and other computer
programs running on the same or another computer.

Master/Slave
In a synchronized system there is always one master and one or more slaves. In our
case, the master is the one that controls the tempo. In other words, it is only the
tempo setting on the master device that is of any relevance, since the slaves slavishly
follow the master's tempo.

Reason always acts as a slave. That is, it receives MIDI Clock signals, it
never transmits them.

Slaving Reason to an External Device
This example assumes that you have an external device, such as a drum machine,
hardware sequencer, another computer, tape recorder etc., that transmits MIDI Clock
signals to which you want to synchronize Reason.
1. Connect a the device via USB/MIDI to the computer running Reason.
2. Set up the other device so that it transmits MIDI Clock signals to the MIDI
Out you just connected to the computer running Reason.
3. In Reason, pull down the Edit menu (under Mac OS X, the Reason menu) and
open the Preferences dialog. Select the Advanced MIDI page.
4. Pull down the MIDI Clock Sync pop-up and select the MIDI Input to which you
connected the other device.
5. Close the dialog.
6. Activate MIDI Clock Sync from the Options menu in Reason.
This can also be set on the Transport panel.
7. Activate playback on the other device.
Reason will start playing ‘in sync’ with it and the Sync LED on the Transport will
light up.

IM USING:
Reason 4.0 (build 905)
Akai MPK Firmware Ver. 1.03

Last edited:
Just joined and this has been a massive help already. Just got the MPK49 and wanted to throw it out of the window when setting it up. I read this thread though and it's now working a treat.
I'm sure I'll be on here a lot.

PS. Is there a place where people can post their own MPK49 preset files. Is there even a way of doing that? I'm going to use it mainly with Battery 3 and thought there could be somewhere to download the presets.... just an idea.

Back