AES/EBU digita audio

Jim28

Anybody know if there is much of a demand to send AES/EBU digital audio over longer then the standard distance? ex. long distances 100 ft to mile etc? Thanks!

---------- Post added 11-24-2012 at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was 11-23-2012 at 01:59 PM ----------

Would it be useful in a pro touring setting or for other industrial applications, to be able to extend ASE/EBU digital audio?

Last edited:
There is a solution which will allow the user to send error free transmission of AES/EBU Digital audio up to several miles!

GJ

This particular product would send AES/EBU over long distance using fiber. I'm interested in feedback from anyone that uses AES/EBU in their set ups. Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know how much feedback you'll get here. Not that there's no market for it, but I don't know how necessary it is for music creation. When needed, most places seem to opt for high-speed dedicated broadband connections (T1, T3, etc...) And a lot of places are fine with using ISDN. I know it's not the same, but there are options out there that work. Plus, the infrastructure is not there to be able to run fiber optic anywhere.

Thanks..That is good feedback though! I think there is a market for it and it has relevance but probably in more industrial applications, you're right. Someone used the example of "wiring up a stadium":) Where extreme lengths could be needed. But non the less, if anyone uses AES/EBU in what ever capacity... I'd be interested to hear about it. Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Wi fi solutions are an amazing option for certain applications however... in a dedicated real concert /show setting I would think.. most would be more comfortable with a wired solution such as AES over fiber. I could be wrong but that is my opinion.

---------- Post added 12-26-2012 at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-21-2012 at 02:42 PM ----------

If anyone has a set up using AES/EBU they could share.. that would be great. thanks!

---------- Post added 12-31-2012 at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-26-2012 at 07:31 PM ----------

Is there much of a demand in a live production to be able to run AES audio over a few hundred feet?

---------- Post added 01-21-2013 at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-31-2012 at 12:28 AM ----------

Any other feedback regarding a unit that could send AES/EBU Digital Audio over Fiber a few miles if needed. Anybody have any experience with this?
Thanks!

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in sending midi past 50 ft there is a solution using Cat5.
---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

There is also a solution using Fiber Optics. look at midiextender.com

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Any AES/EBU examples for live or studio that anyone could share? thanks!
If you are looking to run AES/EBU long distance, than AES over fiber is the way to go.

---------- Post added 02-21-2013 at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-30-2013 at 08:28 PM ----------

There is a new product that will send AES/EBU digital audio long distance. Up to a few miles if needed. Any interest in this?

---------- Post added 02-24-2013 at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-21-2013 at 06:55 PM ----------

Look at midiextender for running midi over longer than 50 ft distances.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Is there anybody that works for a touring sound/production company that could tell me if there is much of a demand to run AES digital audio in concerts/stage etc more than a few hundred ft? for ex 1000,2000 ft etc..
The reason I'm asking is I'm doing a little research to find out if there is any need for this, as it can be done over Fiber.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Audio runs between sources and amplifier rooms, broadcast remote bays, etc. can be very long, according to one technician.

---------- Post added 03-30-2013 at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-24-2013 at 05:46 PM ----------

this product can send AES digital audio a few miles if needed!

Last edited:
Back