Advice

A

(A)TribeCalled

Hey, whats up,

I've been learning about software, and ive used it, but I much prefer hardware, I've been reading as much I can get a hold of, but of course you will know its a confusing world for a noob. Long story short I need advise, I'm looking for a first time purchase, but I dont want to end up buying something I'll regret, or impulsively buying something that isnt efficient for what I want to do. I need to know a drum machine with sampler that is good for beginners, but not a childs toy I need something that is pretty decent and good value for money.

If your wondering what type of music I like want to create - I like various stuff but I like Kool Kieth, Dan the Automator, Handsome Boy Modelling School, Jurassic 5, Hella, Tera Melos, and I also like stuff like 70s B-move music haha, for example the Warriors soundtrack, and stuff like that.

Basically I need a piece of equipment that is relatively easy for beginners, but brings together all the elements of these music.

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
MPC 1000. It's a great sampler/sequecer that is modern (with card storage) and has an upgradeable operating system. They are easy to learn and make a great thing to start with because as you get some more gear with MIDI, you can sequence it on your MPC... oh and with the MPC1000 you can export beats straight to your pc via USB, you don't need to record it to anything.

MPC 1000. It's a great sampler/sequecer that is modern (with card storage) and has an upgradeable operating system. They are easy to learn and make a great thing to start with because as you get some more gear with MIDI, you can sequence it on your MPC... oh and with the MPC1000 you can export beats straight to your pc via USB, you don't need to record it to anything.

Okay, i've heard of these. From what i've read it looks good, it works as a drum machine as well?

Yes, it's a sampler. So you can take any drum samples you want and sequence them in realtime or even do step sequencing, but hardly anyone step sequences on a MPC. It has several quantize options for getting your timing right and adding the right kinda groove. The MPC 1000 also has 128 megs of ram (well you gotta install a bigger memory chip but they're super cheap), which is MORE than plenty. Especially if you're doing hip-hop. My MPC 2000 XL has 32 megs of memory and I have no problem, unless I'm doing some really dense electronic track... one of these days I'll get a s950 :)

But yeah I'd definitely recommend the MPC1000 if hiphop is your focus. It's still great if you are into more electronic stuff too. The MPC 1000 also has 4 midi outputs (I think) so if you got more gear with midi, you could just hook it up and start working. If you are just looking for a drum machine, it depends on if you want natural sounding drums or you want to be able to create your own tones... if you just want a drum machine, I seriously recommend the Korg Electribe ER-1 mkII. They regularly sell around $175ish on eBay and they are pretty kickass. If you want natural sounding drums get a Boss DR880 or something like that.

I'd recommend getting the MPC though... you aren't limited to any sounds onboard because you use whatever samples you put into it, which is super easy since it has a card reader AND usb. You can also sample directly into the MPC and chop shit up from there, but honestly it's a lot easier to sample and chop on a computer if you ask me.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

maybe it just has 2 midi outputs, I might be thinking of the 2500

Cool man, ill definetly consider it, looks pretty shit hot.

I was thinking of getting either a sampler or a drum machine, is Akai MPC500 a drum machine and sampler?

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

This is difficult I'm now considering software, as I'm thinking my experience with software was based on my ignorance and my distain for having to change from hardware to software. I mean you've got to ask yourself can software really do all the things hardware can, I know its easier and it requires less cables etc, and some like the workflow - but I mean can you sample records, soundbites etc onto software as easily and effectively as you can do it onto hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
dont waste your time on a mpc 500 if money is too tight for a 1000 get a 2000xl or a 2000 classic. The 2000 classic I got was 300 on ebay

dont waste your time on a mpc 500 if money is too tight for a 1000 get a 2000xl or a 2000 classic. The 2000 classic I got was 300 on ebay

A lot of guys have been saying starting out on hardware is a bad idea nowadays, I'm kinda seeing the sense in what their saying, as software is progressing you can do everything you can do in hardware.

But i don't know, there is something i love about hardware - i mean is there really any technical & musical advantage hardware has to software?

im not saying dont go hardware im saying dont buy a mpc 500. i tell a lot of newbs just to skip hardware all together because by time you get proficent with producing youll most likely want a software rig anyway but at the end of the day its all up to the user to make bangers regardless

Back