Advice on moving to new york...

brodel34

I'm getting ready to move to new York... I've never been there (yeah yeah) and I'm trying to figure out which borough I want to stay in. I will be transferring through my job, but I have to figure out which borough to try and transfer to. Im a producer, so that will factor in.

Just visited New York a couple days ago. Midtown Manhattan is cool but also very busy. If I was moving, I'd probably move to Brooklyn though.

Where exactly in New York is your new job located at? Where are you coming from (big city, small town, rural, suburban, etc) and what kind of setting are you interested in? What kind of budget are you working with as far as rent/food/transport/misc?

Where exactly in New York is your new job located at? Where are you coming from (big city, small town, rural, suburban, etc) and what kind of setting are you interested in? What kind of budget are you working with as far as rent/food/transport/misc?

exactly what i thought

Like I said I have to decide what borough to work on. The setting I'm interested in is music.

I am from NY. I would say if you have the money, move to Manhattan. If not Long Island is another option, and it has a pretty decent music scene.

Like I said I have to decide what borough to work on. The setting I'm interested in is music.

If you're interested in music in terms of working with those in the major label system then Manhattan will be your borough simply because all the label main offices are there, specifically midtown/time square vicinity. Most of the clubs, networking spots, studios (well not in recent years lol) are all in the same area

If you're interested in music in terms of music scene then it depends on what kind of music

Manhattan is beautiful though. I like the little food carts on the streets. What's up with your McDonalds staff though, New Yorkers? Not very customer friendly IMO LOL.

Let me ask you fellas this question: If you had a fixed income and a pretty comfortable life, would you risk it to move to a place you always wanted to live in?

NO. But then again Im not in that situation.

I think if its for a cause you believe in, do it - sometimes people do things just to prove to themselves they can handle it.

NO. But then again Im not in that situation.

I think if its for a cause you believe in, do it - sometimes people do things just to prove to themselves they can handle it.

Nah, that's not the case. I always wanted to live in the USA (especially in NY). I'm getting a lot of negative comments about the country though. According to some people I know who live there now, it's really hard to survive.

Im from NYC been here all my life and I can tell you its not as sweet as the movies make it seem. AND YES, it is a tremendous effort for someone to survive here by themselves. Especially if they aren't well off financially.

BUT one thing I will tell you, there is opportunity everywhere in this city. Anything can really happen. If you can survive here, im sure you can do anything. But just prepare for some rocky times ahead.

If you're interested in music in terms of working with those in the major label system then Manhattan will be your borough simply because all the label main offices are there, specifically midtown/time square vicinity. Most of the clubs, networking spots, studios (well not in recent years lol) are all in the same area

If you're interested in music in terms of music scene then it depends on what kind of music

Na, **** pop. I'm a hip-hop producer... Apollo brown, nottz, roc marciano, Kanye pre 2005... i **** with that shit

Hey what's up. I live in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Besides being a producer I am also a Real Estate agent specializing in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens. Feel free to PM me or email me at ejensen@nylivingsolutions.com. Always glad to help out a fellow FP'er! :)

Im from NYC been here all my life and I can tell you its not as sweet as the movies make it seem. AND YES, it is a tremendous effort for someone to survive here by themselves. Especially if they aren't well off financially.

BUT one thing I will tell you, there is opportunity everywhere in this city. Anything can really happen. If you can survive here, im sure you can do anything. But just prepare for some rocky times ahead.

What exactly makes it so hard to survive in NY specifically? The rent?

Its not just a financial struggle but also being able to adjust to the variety of people and conditions of NYC life. Everything is super hectic, non-stop, 24/7 if you catch my drift. It might be something completely left field, or maybe it can be something thats right in your comfort zone. But its on you...

I actually reside in park slope, brooklyn and have to say that you do not need to live in manhattan to be accessible to the record labels. everyone in this city knows where the right people are partying and where the industry connects are. You just gotta find your way to them. I have friends who drive from states away to just come to NYC to network. Its a real gem to be here.

Back