Advice i can give to beginers

BeatbyAS

The best advice I can give you is, get off this forum and go work on some beats.

Only by taking your time to sit down and test out your DAW with tries and errors, your talent will get better.

not just reading forums, where you barely understand the terms used.

I've only recently joined forums and i've been making music a long time ago.

you just gotta do it !

if you need some other different approach advice, holla at me !

I also suggest starting out with samples and VST's that are made simple. Going straight to the synthesizer to get ''the sound you want'' is more likely to discourage you than anything.

The best advice I can give you is, get off this forum and go work on some beats.

Only by taking your time to sit down and test out your DAW with tries and errors, your talent will get better.

not just reading forums, where you barely understand the terms used.

I've only recently joined forums and i've been making music a long time ago.

you just gotta do it !

if you need some other different approach advice, holla at me !

With that being said, you also need a foundation of knowledge to base your 'trial and error' off of so you don't waste your time or get into bad habits. I cant tell you how many people I know who just sit down and make beats on their daw. Then 3 years later they still suck because they have no direction to drive. They're just driving going nowhere(for lack of a better analogy haha)

You need to find a balance between research and making beats. I admit that I lean a little too much towards the research side and I need to get into the actual beat making 'practice' of it now. But I will never regret the time I've put into research. You need to at least have a grasp on every concept of your DAW before you try making stuff in it.

Using compressors/EQ's, etc.. aren't going to teach you how to use them. They will just make you familiar with them but it doesnt mean you are using them right. using them right is a big part of it too, and you USUALLY cant figure that out by yourself. (at least not in the time you could research how to do it, which brings me back to wasting your time doing it by trial and error and probably picking up bad habits, ESPECIALLY with compression)

I actually think you should do 4 things as a beginner. These are (in no particular order):
1) Listen to a lot of music, and actually listen, not just have it as background noise. Focus and try to understand what is actually happening in the track.
2) Research everything about your craft. Composing, mixing, drum patterns , chords, scales etc. Read forums, read other people's topics, try and learn from everything.
3) Learn an instrument. I know it's kinda hard at the beginning, but trust me, it's gonna open your eyes (and ears). Out of all the things that helped me get better at producing, learning an instrument helped me the most.
4) Spend time and actually produce/compose. No point in learning a lot without being able to apply the new information.
That's my bit of advice.

I agree with some said here.
Less pondering and more practice is always good. Find the right balance between learning theory and practicing that theory and producing.

Don't be afraid to re-mix your songs, Diamonds by Kanye West was mixed 14 times before release. Stronger took 50 mixes and eight engineers.

Before you put any effects on your sounds, know where you want the mix to end up.

Back