Advice for newbie looking to get into EDM beats production

ghettosamson

Hey everybody, my wife and I have previously been leasing beats and topline writing and performing on them then getting them produced. We've been focusing on vocal arrangement, lyrics and melody. I want to move forward though and learn how to make EDM beats so I am here for advice. Are there any EDM producers out there that can give me the first five things they would do if they were starting out today? I currently own a FocusRite iTrack Solo, GarageBand, an AT2020 mic, an iPad Mini to record and make beats and a MacBook. Should I get a keyboard, a beatpad, both? I know GarageBand on the iPad has some of that stuff. I know very little about music theory, should I start there so I can learn about progressions and such? I have a burning desire to make good music and I also want to grow in talent and skill. I had a great dream last night where I heard 3 brand new EDM beats, I heard them loud and clear, progressions, synths, drums, white noise, and I didn't wake up to at least record them by humming my voice and now they are gone. It's a shame, but I feel like with practice I can get there, I just need to learn the basics and then practice. Any advice helps. Also, how do I get my Soundcloud tracks to show with my posts on this forum? Here is a link to my soundcloud profile.
https://soundcloud.com/tanibacani

I think you have to post a minimum of 10 posts, then you can post your soundcloud links or soundcloud tracks with embedded player in your post.
There a post about how to do so.
Click here

INHO a beatpad and piano would help, its a great alternative to just clicking the mouse(midi). I recommend a midi controller(I have a Akai LPD 8, super basic), one with knobs..as EDM uses a bit more automation than other genres. Its always fun to play around with the filters while making beats :)

Back