Advice for my new MIDI Studio setup??

WyattKai

Here's a map of the new studio setup that I want to go for.
I need to control all of the synths via MIDI with a Keyboard Controller that allows me to sequence/ program, and also be the Clock Master for all of them.
I also need to have audio return, so I can also edit the sequences of Ableton MIDI clips if needed.

I'd like to know if I'm missing something important.omegle xender
And I'm not 100% sure that I'm picking the right MIDI Interface. For several practical reasons:
- I don't want to use MIDI daisy chaining nor a smaller MIDI Interface.
- I don't to connect everything via USB.
Any ideas & suggestions will be very welcomed! Thanks!

Last edited:
Just to clarify:

- I don't want to use MIDI daisy chaining nor a smaller MIDI Interface.
- I don't to connect everything via USB.

Is point #2 "I don't want..." or "I wan't..."?

---
I'll try my best but still assuming certain things your post was unclear on.

Not every device's drivers allow MIDI over USB. More and more are most certainly writing that code. But a lot of the devices will still require your regular dasiy-chain approach thereby requiring one MIDI interface of some sort. Your first step is to differentiate which of your synths / devices does work MIDI over USB and is assignable in your DAW / Software. Do that first, and then it's possible to go deeper into this conversation because this synth / device is going to need to be your MIDI interface and pass the messages on to the rest. That synth / device is going to use MIDI Thru and pass the channel information over MIDI to the various devices' MIDI IN.

I foresee USB being possible as your start but you're going to be MIDI cabling somewhere down the line.

IF (big IF) all of your synths and devices are new enough to all work MIDI over USB, I actually don't see this as ideal either because depending on the number of devices, you're going to require a powered USB hub once you plug them in individually.

It's also possible I'm not fully understanding since the two hyphened points above weren't clear. Find which devices you have that work MIDI over USB first.

Back