Advice for beginners - You will get better!

Psalm

Ok so I've seen a few threads lately about newbies starting out who are confused about why their music sounds bad. They say it sounds like a horror movie score or on the opposite end of the scale, a kids show theme song (I've been there).
Before I go on, I just want it to be known that I do not consider myself to be a master of music production or anything even close. I've only been doing it for about two years and I'm still learning more and more about it and I have a long way to go. Also, I don't know how to play an instrument and I have limited knowledge on music theory, so I'm not expert by any means!

The horrible sounding music that comes from your first few beats, this happens to EVERYONE when they start out. If they say it didn't happen to them, then they are lying to you. As I said in another thread, you can't jump on a skateboard and do a kickflip first try. It takes practice, just like music production. Many people don't understand this about music until they try it themselves. Being a good music producer is hard and takes a lot of time. You need to be patient and stay determined even when you think you aren't making any progress.

Here's a few tips that I think will be helpful:
1. This seems strange, but don't get too focused on learning things! It's obviously vital to know how to use your DAW but some things just cant be taught unless you figure them out yourself. So experiment, try new things and don't be worried if it sounds bad just try your best to add to what you have and when you get stuck it's often best to start over with something completely different. When I started, I used to linger on one beat and couldn't think of anything to make it better and in the end I was just wasting my time when I should have been making something completely new.

2. A MIDI controller is extremely helpful to have and you are definitely going to want one at some stage. I know there's a lot of great producers who don't use one (Lex Luger comes to mind), but a MIDI will boost the quality of your music greatly. Just try a cheap 25 key one like the 'Akai mpk mini'.

3. Dont be afraid to sound different, all the big producers out there are popular because they sound unique. At the same time though, a good way of learning is to emulate what others have done, but what I am saying to you is that don't be discouraged if you make a beat and it doesn't sound like DJ Mustard or Flying Lotus or whoever you look up to. Having your own style is a good thing.

4. Study the songs you like, what is about them that attracts you? Is it the mega drops in EDM or the sample choices in some hip hop beats. I know I said you shouldn't be too focused on learning but find that ratio that works for you. What I'm really talking about is don't spend hours on youtube watching the same tutorials over and over when you should be practicing firsthand.

5. If you're lacking inspiration, try listening to other genres of music or at least other genres that are still similar style of music you like but in different genres. So if you're trying to make hip hop trap beats, try listening to some boom bap. It doesn't mean you have to make boom bap but it might spark some creativity for you. I heard a Justin Bieber song on the radio the other day and it gave me some inspiration haha (Unfortunately that's true).

6. "How long does it take for me to get good?" that question pops up a lot and it's virtually impossible to answer. Everyone progresses at different levels so it's pretty hard to gauge. If it gives you any indication, check out the music in my signature, I've been producing for about 2 years both sampling and composing originals and you can judge for yourself what level I'm at. (This will be absolutely useless for people who aren't producing hip hop haha). As a general rule though, it takes a LONG time.

7. You don't need to know how to play an instrument or be an expert with music theory. Especially if you are sampling you don't need either of these. That being said, they would both be helpful! You should definitely study up on some basic music theory but you don't need to know EVERYTHING. However if you do know how to play piano, you are already a giant step ahead. I'm just saying it's not absolutely necessary.

Hopefully this can serve as some sort of inspiration for you to keep at it and stay determined. The best way to improve is just hands on practice and no matter what, never give up!

“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take a while. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”

Last edited:
my problem is that i know all the melodies i want to make.
this is a big problem because not only can't i name the notes of these things in my head 24/7 that do not leave until they are mushed out, but my hands just do not translate like they do with percussion.
I want my notes to hit like my drums the same way ff12/ffx-2 music does.

This is why i bother with sight reading practice all of a sudden.

I hear a lot of people say they hear melodies in their head but cant play them, which is strange to me because I don't think I experience that really. I'm not sure if you're talking about random melodies that just appear in your head or melodies whihc you can add to your already half way made song?
I don't hear random melodies in my head though I do think of melodies to play over drums or chords I already have which I used to struggle to bring to life but now I don't have as much trouble. Again, I think it's just practice and more practice. One guy I know does hear random melodies in his head but he said he thinks it's just his mind creating something that cant actually exist, which makes sense to me.
It seems like you aren't making much progress but trust me you are, one day you'll look back and realize how far you have come.

trust me it sucks HARD.about the melody thing it's 24/7 i hear those anywhere.synthesia is a good game that helps learn existing songs but for reading music its not as good as note attack :/

my problem is that i know all the melodies i want to make.
this is a big problem because not only can't i name the notes of these things in my head 24/7 that do not leave until they are mushed out, but my hands just do not translate like they do with percussion.
I want my notes to hit like my drums the same way ff12/ffx-2 music does.

This is why i bother with sight reading practice all of a sudden.
Practicing sightreading is mot going to help. You really need to sit down and sing what you hear in your head and play it on your instrument. Its not as hard as people make it seem, but it can get challenging, especially with chords (which I suck at transcribing). If you can sing Mary had a Little Lamb- you can play by ear.

i was trynna avoid sheet music in 2010-2013, but it helps.I know all the notes by ear but the recall speed has 5 second delay for me so i spend a long time messing with the keyboard just finding notes.
It seems like if i want to make this work i might have to learn how to combine them skills :/ think about it, fusing what you hear with what you see.That could be my ticket to melody creation on the fly, a 3 minute melody in 4 minutes compared to the usual hour.

Great advice mate! I started producing 3 weeks ago and in the beginning it was like whoah i make hell of a progress and now i feel like i stuck in one place. I'm really into music and everyday i try to make something new. It really helped me out dude! :) Thanks and sorry for my bad english! :)

Back