Advanced mixing sets on Ableton Live 8

kflynt

Hello.

I was wondering if u guys know any good advanced tutorial on creating a mixed set on Ableton Live 8.

I know the warping stuff, I've made several mixes, but I would like it to take this to a more pro level and also learn more techniques. All I have done is by on my own techniques and some of them are a big pain in da a$$ :(

Question 1
I want to make a mixed set. That means I will mix the last part of a song with the first part of the next song. The "mixed" part duration (where tracks have to be beatmatched) can be vary from 15seconds to like 2mins depending on the tracks structure and my mixing intentions. Why do I need to warp the entire song since I only need to mix the first and the last parts of the track? I mean, why warp an 8min track when I just mix and beatmatch only like 3mins of it?

Question 2
Even when warping appears to be correct (according to the metronome), when 2 tracks are mixed together, most of the times correction is necessary in order to be perfectly beatmatched. Is the only way to do this by moving the warping points again during the process of mixing?

I hope you get my points ;)

I DJ with ableton and I make sure all my songs are warped before hand. What kind of music are you mixing? If it is produced music that keeps a constant tempo then warping them should be easy if you know the bpm. If you do not know the bpm use mixmeister and it will tell you the bpm. With that being said heres how I warp:

1) Delete all warp markers created from the import

2) Find the begining of the song and place a warp marker. Alot of times ableton will import a song and the begining of the song will not be on the first beat.

3) calculate the bpm with mixmiester or if you know the bpm you are all set (if it tells you its 127.98 its probably 128 etc.)

4) click the one warp marker you have created and in the bpm box to the left, input the bpm

At this point the track should be perfectly warped on beat and if its not it should probably only take 2 or 3 more markers to correct this.

So if you are warping correctly your two questions are not an issue.

Back