adsr envelopes in dance music?

cartwheel1984

Hello all the noob again!
Just wondering where id use the adsr envelopes in making dance music? The only time I can imagine using it is on like a build up as a riser? Any other suggestions?
Cheers!

you can use an adsr to shape the amplitude of any sound at any time - in most cases you want to use them in designing filter response for individual notes played on a synth

Cheers bandcoach!! Been searching through some old threads n seems like your the main guy in here with the knowledge! So cheers for replying.

Think what i should of asked is can someone put an example on of a song using adsr env so I could see where I would use a high attack rate and decay.

Well unless you want to try it yourself, simply pick a sound and mess around with the ADSR, I can probably upload a simple example of how it might be useful when I get back from work. It'll take a while until then though.

Envelopes - ADSR or some other configuration - are one of the most fundamental components of synthesis in general. Which means they're being used almost everywhere; basically almost every synth sound is sculpted by envelopes. As Wallengard said, the best way to understand how they're being used is simply to start playing with them.

Thanks for your answers guys! Ill have a play round! I know they are probably simple things to you guys but still getting my head around it all! Got loads of daft little questions like this ask as a noob so I really do appreciate your comments n helping me understand more!

Yes adsr envelopes are some of the fundamental tools in synthesizer sound creation. Probably the most noticeable and used use is in synthesizer bass lines. It how many producers got those deep, percussive bass lines that originated in the 70's and continue to sound great in modern music today.

That was referring to the adsr envelope of the filter. Try this to get started experimenting...Pick a basic synth sound. Make the following settings on the filter adsr envelope:
1 attack 0
2 delay 60%
3 sustain 10%
4 release 0%
5 resonance 25%
6 filter 50%
then adjust the filter envelope amount to taste. should give you a nice percussive short sound you can use as a foundation for experimentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back