Adding an sp 303 to the setup

Kozram

Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on this subject?

I currently use an mpc 1000, but have become curious about adding an sp 303 to the mix to add that gritty/warmth that the 303 has.

As I'm happy with the workflow/sequencing etc of the mpc, I was wondering if it's possible to sample in, chop up, sequence and do everything as I normally do and then when it's time to track out to my DAW (reaper) play each track into the sp, add effects etc then play into the DAW???

Will this method still get the desired effect of grittiness/warmth etc???

You could......Best way to get that raw sound famed by Madlib via the sp303 is not to track out though, and just do 2 tracks of everything.
This breaks the basic rules of mixing, but mixing your way to that type of sound really works better in the box.
This makes no sense BTW, and will get you attacked by engineers everywhere lol......This is however the way a lot of lo-fi producers are doing it though, and cutting the mix engineer right out of the picture by mxing in the sampler......sometimes also doing a rough master, and letting the Mastering engineer deal with the track as is.
You can get very lofi inside the mpc btw with the re-sampling/pitch method.

Could you possibly elaborate on the resampling/pitch method??

I'm not too familiar with this technique.

Pitch up the sample to +24 then resample. After this is done pitch the sample down to -24, and presto dirt appears!
You can resample and pitch several more semitones again if it's not dirty enough.
To get more sp1200 ring add in some eq to the new sample by boosting the highs which will strip away the aliasing filter somewhat.
Throw on some compression too if you want, and re-sample again.
It might take some experimenting, but this will get you in the right ball park.

Back