Add Maschine to the list of DAWs

Mannas

With the news of VST integration coming in Q1 for Maschine, it will definitely be what I use from here on out.

I seriously don't get the fuss about this addition in the 1.6 update. I have lots of things that can load VSTs that blow Maschine out of the water in terms of making beats.

I guess Maschine, like APC40 and Launchpad, benefits from people being too lazy to map controllers. The thing about Maschine I don't get is going backwards from a nice, large laptop screen that HAS to be used anyway, for two tiny LCD screens.

Don't get me wrong, I like the APC40 and Launchpad, and Maschine is a decent drum sampler with some basic sequencing functions, but it is way overhyped, and VST is probably going to add very little to the picture here, regardless of the hype.

The most talked about "benefit" is using Maschine live without opening a DAW to host VSTs. But to me, if your DAW sucks for live use, then get one that doesn't. Not to mention, a ton of DJ programs do this already...

Anyway, I am sure the people that want it will like it, but it is certainly not this "game-changer" people make it out to be. I have no desire to use something that does less and worse rather than something that does more and better.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Very valid points.

For me, it's about the hardware experience and feel but using software. I work at a job where I stare at a computer screen for 8-9 hours a day so when I'm making music I want it to be different and not still staring at a computer.

With Maschine as it is now I can use it without even having to look at the computer if I want. Of course, I'm sure that will change with the VSTs. But for now, it gives me the general feeling like I'm working on an MPC, MV, etc. When I sample I look at the monitor because it's easier with the size of the waveform.

I also think to me it is the simplicity of it. Maschine is not overly complex and I love that about it. You're definitely right there are options that would do more and possibly better but I see better as subjective. If I can go from start to finish in an easier manner and not get bogged down, that's a big deal to me.

As you said I certainly don't think it's a "game-changer" but I could see it now converting those from hardware whose sequencing centers around an MPC or something relevant more than before. Maschine with something like Halion Sonic I personally would compare to using an MPC and a workstation keyboard.

If you're looking to get complex I would not recommend it but for the simplicity that I missed from an MPC I think it is wonderful and now being able to incorporate other VSTs instead of having to do it another DAW is huge for me. I may be the only one but I would venture to guess there are others that feel the same.

Im not even sure one can mix in Maschine. An essential function of a daw is being able to mix in one right? This is a composition tool all the way. I like Maschine don't get me wrong its just not the tool Id go to for my own production at this point in time.

are there any good vids of ppl making tracks on maschine besides the ones with F Major? i just wanna see more on it.

I understand what you think about Maschine, but what everyone loves about it is the ease of workflow and the fact that it integrates SEAMLESSLY with the software. It is nothing like working with a mapped midi controller, i'm sorry, but it isn't. Everything from volume control to shortening/stretching patterns, deleting notes, metronome level, EVERYTHING integrates into the controller. It's like having an MPC but without all the restrictions of hardware. I personally don't think all the hype is unwarranted, if you read the forums, the customers love this product. NI's really good thing is they actually take the user requests when they ask for features and give you updates on the progress. It ain't for everybody, but i been using keyboards, samplers and VSTs for years and this one IMO has the most potential to be a classic like the mpc was. The VST feature was what everyone on the forum was begging for, so that's what made it happen. I'm glad too, cuz i want to use kore, sampletank and some other stuff in standalone mode and just dump it into Protools once i'm done.

as far as going from a large laptop screen to a tiny lcd.. this to me goes back to my mpc where I really didn't look at the lcd on it. you just create with your hands, making beats. now staring at a screen, slow click and drag and click and point etc. just make music. thats a major thing missing from most software these days. even when you map your controllers they still lack the immediate hands on approach of most hardware. the good thing here is this is another free update for a relatively new piece of audio kit (keep in mind we are still in the 1.X days of maschine) there are still improvements to be made, more detail in the sequencer being one of the main issues as far as stand alone mode is concerned (easily worked around in when used as a plug in) really almost any down side associated with maschine is taken away when used in combination with a DAW, however they are considered downsides because the maschine community has decided that we don't like the old daw workflow, anything that can not be done directly from the controller without really needing to look at the screen is considered a down area... however if you were to utilize the software in a DAW as you would most other programs you will see that the "work arounds" are actually just normal tactics for most software (i.e. program changes in a Daw to set a tempo map as maschine does not have a dedicated master track to set tempo changes in standalone)
point being this FREE update is a step in the right direction for those that use maschine and are sick of point and click music making. I don't see a downside to that. and I believe your gonna start seeing more companies copy this as people realize how nice and intuitive it can be... maschine + abelton together is amazing... maschine + logic left alot to be desired as I didn't want to go outside of maschine to sequence the AU but now with au/vst hosting. I can sequence those inside of logic with maschine no problem... very nice.
though I actually prefer maschine in standalone mode.

Maschine is dope vsts will make it even better but you still would have to mix and record vocals elsewhere. It's much better than mapping a midi controller to your daw. The biggest problem with maschine IMO was the sounds and fx. Loading it as a vst pretty much ruined the workflow.

Last edited:
Maschine is dope vsts will make it even better but you still would have to mix and record vocals elsewhere. It's much better than mapping a midi controller to your daw. The biggest problem with maschine IMO was the sounds and fx. Loading it as a vst pretty much ruined the workflow.

^^^^Everything u just said! The sounds suck, but that won't be a problem anymore.

I think some of you guys are being too hard on the idea of mapping controllers or whatever. If you take the time to do it, and place everything where you want it, it pays dividends in the long run, and everything works exactly the way you want it to. I don't think it is easier, because the difference is nil whether you take the time to map things yourself, or take the time to learn how they programmed the hardware.

Plus, it gives you something to do during those bouts with writers block. :)

@trusty the 2 way feedback of maschine is far from the same of mapping a controller or even automap. I'm very familiar with mapping and infact to that extent the maschine controller editor is very dope. but even if you map everything how you want it is still no where near what maschine is currently doing with the controller.
I agree everyone should know how to map. it's a necessity in this production world. but I'm also all for the world of dedicated controllers.
as for the sounds in maschine lacking.... really would you buy any other sampling groove box to use nothing but stock sounds? maybe you would.... I sure as hell wouldn't. the effects are goona be a huge shift with vst support. that will be fun.
I'm really looking forward to custom reaktor ensembles for use inside of maschine... you know they are coming.

i agree with flux. I have an mpc2500 and the maschine...i've never used the stock sounds in either. I think looking at maschine as a daw is too much...its not meant to be that...but in comparison to my mpc, which is what i bought it to compare to, its an amazing compliment to my studio and has replaced my mpc completely. and with VST support, ill be able to create my whole beat in maschine and just use live to do final arrangements and mix and master....beautiful way to work if you ask me. its just so simple

I think that a VGA out for my MPC would pay more dividends, but i have never tried maschine. That is one thing that i think Roland got right with the MV series. What they got wrong was making it easy to use.

even with a vga out, my mpc couldnt do a lot of the things my maschine does...nor could it do it as quickly, which is something thats important to me. furthermore, the maschine has so much potential, i mean they're adding vst support, so you can do EVERYTHING in house...no need to midi to a keyboard and save the settings on both pieces of hardware, no need to midi to a computer and do the same thing. now u can just make the beat, save all ur settings in one place, and recall it later the same way. amazingly simple.

Its more like turning Maschine into a full on music workstation. I wouldnt say its a DAW yet, it has no linear sequencing and the audio editing is limited

Maschine is not yet a DAW nor do I think it needs to be. It is definitely more like a full on workstation that can host VST/AU plugins.

Anyway, people talking about "just map midi controllers" don't know what they're talking about and the level of total integration Maschine's dedicated controller has. It's really more like using actual hardware like MPC in terms of hands-on workflow but with the power and flexibility of software. It's the best of both worlds.

And yes, you can mix in Maschine. And now you'll even be able to use mastering plugs in it.

Back