Add "Arranging" section to production techniques

onlydlonly

I think arranging fits in a different category than those listed already

any thoughts on this?

Theory, Composing & Sound Design is really a broad category and most of the posts ive seen consist of sound design questions

Yes I see that but arranging is a huge part of making a song. I don't think it should be buried under a bunch of "how do I make ____ sound" posts

u can have a grasp of synthesis and music theory but still need some work on arranging and song structure

I just think it deserves its own leeway

Yes I see that but arranging is a huge part of making a song. I don't think it should be buried under a bunch of "how do I make ____ sound" posts

u can have a grasp of synthesis and music theory but still need some work on arranging and song structure

I just think it deserves its own leeway

I get your point but a dedicated forum would generate very little traffic. We have had users complain that there are too many forums. We did consolidate some things and for the most part, things are covered okay. It's hard to have a perfect number of forums since there is so much to music so it's a steady work in progress.

I do agree that it falls under composing, however. Granted, some arranging goes on in the mixing stage at times. Plus, with a forum for arranging, every other day, we'd have to explain what arranging means. :D

Has any thought been given to splitting Sound Design from Theory and Composing? It seems an odd combination no matter where I see it. I recognise that sound design is steeped in theory but it is a different application of theory, given that the overtone series is being discussed in subtractive or phase modulation terms rather than chordal/scalar terms.

Back