acoustic issues

brzonogi

hey guys, i need a help about acoustic enviroment in my future studio.I placed a sketch in pdf format and i dont know what to do with my problematic area, should i put a bass trap as well in that corners and apsorbers.The walls next to the main door, behind and opposite the speakers are already made with appropriate materials but this part is a litlle bit tricky... any advice would be precious, thank you

And yea, some ideas for the window behind the speakers can i put apsorbers on it or something or just leave it as it is...?

Igorstudio sketch.jpg

Attachments

• studio sketch-pdf.jpg
    studio sketch-pdf.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
definitely needs a bass trap

other advice depends on
room measurements (h x w x l)
mix location - physical distances from walls,
speakers being correctly positioned and setup (60[sup]o[/sup] angle to your ears forming an equilateral triangle) to provide good first wavefront to your ears and as a result providing a good indication of where first reflection treatment should go (i am assuming that these are near-field, as you do not state either way)

I can't help thinking that you have committed your layout without thought to these issues, as the design could have been better executed with these things in mind.

yeah, actually i am making a table now so i can place speakers in equal triangle, first reflection i think i am not lucky because from one speaker i supose waveform will go in vocal both door glass and from other speaker will go to main door which are made from metal i think or aluminium something like that but its hard surface and i can not do anything there :( regarding of bass traps should i put traps in both corner in problematic area or just in closer one ( on the left side in sketch ) thanks bandcoach you replaying me and helping to solve this issue i appreciate

and yea, measurements, room is 4 meters deep, around 3 meters wide ( the part whrere speakers are ) and i dont know how high is it but i will check it tommorow for sure...

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

actually my "smart" brother builds this studio from scretch 5 years ago and he tought he knows this things even if i warned him that this schedule is not appropriate especially vocal booth room i mean it has 5-6 angles what can i say, and you see where are the doors right on the first reflections of speakers..

Actually, the vocal booth looks like the least of your concerns.

Re: the windows, are they single glazing or double glazing?

If single, consider replacing them with double or triple glazed frames where the cross section is something like this

glazingOptions.png

With the triple glazing, you have a central pane that is vertical and two outer panes that are angled 3[sup]o[/sup] away from the central pane

With the double glazing, you have two outer panes that are angled 3[sup]o[/sup] off vertical to the outside of the frame.

If you were to build this yourself, you should construct the frame so that you slide the glass into a 3/4 finished frame before sealing the final side. You should route slots for each pane of glass so that they rest within the frame cleanly: 3mm depth should be sufficient, but you can go to 6mm without problems.

Insert some silica gel packs in each enclosed part of the frame to absorb any moisture that might creep in.

All joints where the glass makes contact with the frame should be resting on a bed of silicone sealant - to allow for expansion and contraction. The panes are also sealed to the wood with a bead of sealant on each side if possible: there are construction tricks that will let you do this, but I'll leave that for you to investigate.

Double and triple glazing with angles between the panes serve a single purpose, to stop the transmission of sound through the window - a single pane is a simple vibrating panel and you will see less than 3db drop in intensity between one side and the other. Double panes that are not parallel, offer transmission through glass-transmission through air-transmission through glass, which is conversion through three mediums, effectively dropping the transmission factor 6-12db or more. Add a 3rd pane and you add two layers of transmission media, increasing the damping factor significantly..

Your desk should be about 1/3 into the room lengthwise, so about 1.3m from the wall that you indicate the speakers are against.

Other factors are only identifiable once we know some dimensions and angles of walls.

okay after this observation i have to admit first time i think about glazing windows and i do some research what is it and i dont think i can make it but probably i can find some work shop and the guy who will understand all this.How much will cost mi that pleasure cause the windows are single glazed i am pretty shure and the vocal booth window is double glazed but its not perfect cause the guy who install was f.... us a litlle bit, and i am not satisfied with sound isolation..i can record a video and upload to you with details cause you will understand this better. We did some measurements for table first we measure all components and than we project the table so all components can fit.With perfect triangle we get that distance from beatwen the speakers cons and listening position 80 cm.We want to get this distance as shorten we can because room is not big enough.I mean i will make video my english its not perfect but i hope you will understand me :) i will show you a sketch of table as well so you know how it should look on the end...we have to build a slider which will be under the table for keybords and when you pull out that its gona take more space as well.Anyway i will do everything to make this easy and you will be more informed ..all i know about acoustic is what i saw from youtube videos :) chears mate and god bless you :)

Last edited:
brzonogi,

Bandcoach is talking about the number of glass panes in the window and the angle at which they are set. A single pane or a double-pane with two windows set vertically will rattle and enhance/exacerbate whatever nasty frequencies your room produces (when "activated" and untreated).

Triple-pane, with an angle, with air-space in-between, prevents the rattling and freq. build-up that would occur otherwise.

As to treatment issues, you really can't tell until you know exactly how you'll set it up (or at least have a model on paper that includes specific dimensions and angles). Since you have a non-purpose built room (meaning, it wasn't created to be a studio, right?), you may need to do some trial and error testing. Once you know exactly what the frequency issues are, you can get some help (Bandcoach, plus others on-line that do this sort of trouble-shooting for a living... Also, a number of the reputable treatment companies have software apps like "room mode calculators" that can help you figure out where the problems are). Also, there are some studio construction design books you may want to look into. Rather than list them all, here is a link (hope it works) to some more links, to some of the more popular titles...

GJ
Google

Back