Ableton, chopping up audio files / samples

Nico44

What is the best way to work with audio files when wanting to chop them up with Live should I be chopping up the audio file with an audio editor (or something else) before dropping it in Live or do the chopping in Live?

For instance, I have an acapella audio track and I want to chop it up into separate audio files, 1 for the chorus, 1 for the first verse etc.

I've been doing everything in Live so far, but if I chop files up in Live am I going to get a lower quality file (as Live has applied warping to the file so that it is in tempo and I am chopping up the warped version as opposed to original version of the file)?

Nico44 said:
What is the best way to work with audio files when wanting to chop them up with Live should I be chopping up the audio file with an audio editor (or something else) before dropping it in Live or do the chopping in Live?

For instance, I have an acapella audio track and I want to chop it up into separate audio files, 1 for the chorus, 1 for the first verse etc.

I've been doing everything in Live so far, but if I chop files up in Live am I going to get a lower quality file (as Live has applied warping to the file so that it is in tempo and I am chopping up the warped version as opposed to original version of the file)?

Live doesn't apply any warping to your chops. So there shouldn't be any quality loss in Live's auto chop functions.

do everything in Live, it'll be easier for you. there is no 'best way', the best way is the way you like best. there are several ways to accomplish things in Live, thats the beauty of it, there is no one set way of working. sometimes i chop and sequence directly on the track by adjusting the start/end points of the clips, sometimes i'll dump the samples in Sampler and do the same, if the samples are short i'll dump them in Impulse. also, doing everything in Live saves on HDD space, because it uses non-destructive editing, which means that no matter how many times you copy/paste a clip, it's still only referenceing that one audio clip, which will remain the same if you go back and play the original source file. the only time Live creates more wave files on your HDD is when you crop something or resample something to a new clip/track. other than that, you can take an old song on ur HDD, bring it in Live, copy/paste it a hundred times, chop'em up, filter, eq, reverse and all this sht, and the it's still only going to reference that one source file, which will remain unchanged no matter what you do to it in Live.
LevLove

I am dealing with the same thing, but different. I actually want there to be warping in the chops. Every time I slice to midi I get the original un-warped sample. Any suggestions?

I am dealing with the same thing, but different. I actually want there to be warping in the chops. Every time I slice to midi I get the original un-warped sample. Any suggestions?

i'm going to take levs pace! lol

load your sample warp it then export it then reload it back in live and it will stay at your project tempo and bob's your uncle?/auntie(uk slang lmao)

turn warping off...asnd u can save your chops within live...this is how i do it...sometimes audacity is a pain....

and choose the option to save all of your files with the song....

If you want the warping then freeze the file and then flatten then slice to midi if you want easy sample chopping you can set the warp markers to where you want to chop, it will sound funny but when you slice to midi using warp markers it dose not matter as live dose not warp them it only slices at the markers.

resample something to a new clip/track.
LevLove
i love when i read my old posts and the stuff still stands. no need to export/import, set your warp markers and get your loops right, then resample them to a new clip/track. (resample simply means to record it to a new clip track) take the resampled clip and slice that clip to midi, you'll then get the results you are lookin for.
LevLove

No need to resample either when can just consolidate (you'll have to throw the clip temporarily to the arrangement side, though).

Sorry to revive this old thread. I just came across it as I've been having the same issue as well. I've made my chops and they sound good warped at the BPMs that I like. When I send it to slice to midi track the tempo goes back to normal. I've worked around this by recording the warped audio to a separate track, bringing it back into session view, setting the warp markers again and then slicing that to midi track.

It works, but is there a more direct workaround to it than this?

Sorry to revive this old thread. I just came across it as I've been having the same issue as well. I've made my chops and they sound good warped at the BPMs that I like. When I send it to slice to midi track the tempo goes back to normal. I've worked around this by recording the warped audio to a separate track, bringing it back into session view, setting the warp markers again and then slicing that to midi track.

It works, but is there a more direct workaround to it than this?

You should duplicate the clip you want to slice to midi track first...Now crop the new one. That works because the audio is already bounced as is.

Back