Ableton as my prospect now

bigl2369

I'm thinking about ableton because I think it might be better at detecting tempo than the other daws. It seems like with the other daws there not that accurate and I would have to tap tempo and guess a little bit.

So heres how I think I will be making loops.

1. load up some music 2. create two slices at transients, noting that the audio between the two transients needs to be the same tempo 3. bounce 4. load bounce 5. adjust to first transient 6. adjust project tempo 7. slice some four bar denomination loops on the quantized grid in arrangement view 8. bounce some loops

And after I made the loops I would be able to load them up into any project of any tempo. Then I would place a warp marker at the beginning and end of the clip and time stretch using either the regular algorithm or repitch.

This would all be reliant on a few things. The ability to adjust the project tempo to that of the clip after I loaded up the bounce between the transients would be nice. I would also need, when time shifting, that the grid of the clip reflect the grid of the project tempo so I could sync as I slide the warp marker at the end of the clip. And I would need to be able to adjust the size of the clip without affecting its playback speed(which I think is standard).

If I had the ability to load up the loop, then adjust the clip to the start of the first transient and resize the clip I would do that... but I don't think that's an option. Nor would this account for the 50ms of off precision at the end of the loop(from bouncing) even if it was a possibility. So I'll just have to live with those 50ms imperfections that will cause a slight decrease in precision for the time stretching. So there is a little bit of a loss of precision but it won't be noticeable really.

And I will be doing the best I can by adjusting to the first transient after I bounce the first selection. I'd also be adjusting all vsts in the project to 47ms delay.

Last edited:
I wish I could help you but I only know how to launch clips in ableton and switch from session to arrangement view.
Never did understand that warp myself.

Pro tools would probably be good to.

In pro tools:
1. Load music 2. make two slices at transient noting that the audio contained between needs to be the same tempo 3. tap tempo 4. adjust project tempo 5. generate hitpoints 6.manually quantize 7. slice on grid 8.bounce and label with bpm

1.load bpm labeled loops 2.slice at first transient 3.use audio suite with a percentage

Alternatively if there is no mix between triplets and straight rhythm I could just use elastic audio quantize or beat detective conform to replace steps 5 and 6.

FL studio would require me to only tap tempo as there is no way of quantizing hitpoints to a grid in fl studio. So there would be some loss of precision if after I tapped tempo I was off by a few bpms. I think what you can do for "time shift/pitch shift" in FL studio, although I'm not sure is this: Load up your loop into Edison then use a time stretcher pitch shifter tool and enter in the percentage for that knob on your keyboard.

Logic would probably work the same way as pro tools as I know they have something similar to audio suite and the ability to quantize.

Reaper would work just like pro tools, except with no "time shift/pitch shift" algorithm, only regular time shifting.

So overall, as long as everything in ableton works the way I hope, it would be the fastest. Pro tools and logic would be the most accurate. Reaper would be just as accurate as pro tools but with no "time shift/pitch shift". FL studio would be the least accurate.

This thread is strictly about crafting loops. But there other differences I've noticed between daws. FL studio has midi pitch markers which is unique. And ableton you can't save and load automation envelopes without loading up a whole project, they just get messed up if you save the midi or audio clip.

Ultimately I would want pro tools and komplete and an interface and a guitar and a mic and an akai but you cant always get what you want.

Last edited:
"FL studio has midi pitch markers which is unique. And ableton you can't save and load automation envelopes without loading up a whole project, they just get messed up if you save the midi or audio clip." Ok now there's something I never knew right there, dam lol.
"Ultimately I would want pro tools and komplete and an interface and a guitar and a mic and an akai but you cant always get what you want."
Well you could always demo protools right?[Although I'd recommend reaper over Pt, or S1]

As for the tap tempo thing, can't help with that cuz I never use that.Tap tempo never agrees with polyrythms for me either so i gave up usin that tool years back.

Presonus and Cubase would probably be just like reaper. Cubase is a little bit too sensitive when it comes to transient markers.

Last edited:
Ableton actually let's you drag and drop between different projects, so essentially you could save your automation and just drag it to the new project with the appropriate lane set up for it.

Would suck if impatient, manually doing it will be better results. Wayyyyy...way better results than using auto anything.
Takes a while to do, but it'll help you out in the long run. Not really a tempo man, I use milliseconds for almost everything and keep every project at 90bpm.
And for transient markers, Those should be manually adjusted as well.Zoom in often imo.

Back