Ableton akaimpk25 confusion

futureblind

Excuse my overall newbishness. I recently got an akaimpk52 and I'm having a bit of trouble setting it up. I've been told that it can be a bit tricky to get these working together, so I figured I would just post here instead of running myself up a wall trying to figure it out myself.

the akai isn't showing up where I believe it should be, whether or not I use ASIO in the audio device tab. That being said, it is showing up in my midi sync which is I am 99% sure doesn't have any relevance but I figured I'd post it anyway. I believe I have the proper drivers installed because it worked fine with FL. I would appreciate a helping hand.

the akai isn't showing up where I believe it should be, whether or not I use ASIO in the audio device tab.

Where do you believe it should show up? The audio settings have nothing to do with it - it's a MIDI device.

That being said, it is showing up in my midi sync which is I am 99% sure doesn't have any relevance but I figured I'd post it anyway. I believe I have the proper drivers installed because it worked fine with FL. I would appreciate a helping hand.

This is where you select it (from the control surface list):

ableton_midi_prefs.png

Since it's a natively supported device, that's all you need to do. No need to touch the MIDI ports list.

Thank you very much for responding. I wish I could post a screencap but obviously I don't have enough posts, so this will have to do. Sorry if I'm being difficult or if what I say is hard to understand. I'm new at this and all of the youtube videos are so ridiculous.

Control Surface: Mpk25
Input: Akai mpk25
Output: akai mpk25. There is also MIDIOUT2 (Akai mpk25)

My Midi ports section looks like this

Input: Akai mpk25 Input (Akai mpk25) | Track: On | Sync: On, | Remote On
Input: MIDIIN2 (Akai mpk25) | Track: On | Sync: On | Remote: On
Input: MIDIIN (Akai mp25) | Track: On | Sync: On | Remote: On
Output: Microsoft GS wavetable synth | Track: Off | Sync: Off | Remote: Off
Output: MPK25 Output (Akai mpk25) | Track: On | Sync: On | Remote: On
Output: MIDIOUT2 (Akai mpk25) | Track: On | Sync: On | Remote: On
Output: MIDIOUT2 (Akai mpk25 | Track: On | Sync: On | Remote: On

Should I have microsoft GS wavetable synth? When I put any instrument into the midi section, the first tab becauses highlighted and the circle keeps blinking red.

I tried the way that you told me to do it and still no effect. The preset I have on my akai is KillMIDI and the thing directly below it says RESET CTL5

Thank you again for responding and putting up with my overall newbishness. This is all very overwhelming.

Last edited:
Um, the "KillMIDI" isn't a preset - it's a function that simply sends a "note off" message on every channel; it's more like a panic function than anything else. It's function is exactly to stop all sounds that might be (unwantedly) playing, so no wonder nothing's happening if that's on...

Ugh. The stupid person on the youtube video told me to do that. What would you have me do instead?

EDIT: I tried setting it to other things and it still fails to work.

Last edited:
I don't believe so, no. I'm not exactly sure where that is because I'm new to Ableton, but I don't see anything flashing. Would you mind pointing it out to me?

It's not flashing.

---------- Post added 09-14-2012 at 05:17 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-13-2012 at 06:11 AM ----------

I'd also like to point out that it DOES indeed work in FL studio.

---------- Post added 09-15-2012 at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-14-2012 at 05:17 AM ----------

Do you guys have any ideas? This is really cutting into my productivity.

If it works in FL, it pretty much rules out everything else than the settings in Live...but as said before, it shouldn't need anything else than selecting it from the control surface list. What are you trying to trigger with it (for example)?

Back