A novice wanting to be pro

Hi All,

My name is Daniel.

I'm heavily interested in building the overall quality of my work and will be using the forums heavily. I only just discovered this site today so I'm pretty excited to have joined up.

Here's a bit about me,

I'm new to music production. Music is something that I was raised with and have always had a passion for. I can honestly say it's one of the things in life that brings me genuine happiness. My musical tastes would heavily be in R&B, Reggae, Ska, Soul, Hip-Hop, a little pop every now and then and some indie.

I decided last year that I was going to get myself some equipment and start teaching myself at home. I got familiar with FL Studio and got a Midi Controller with some drum pads. Right now, I believe I'm at a point where I understand layouts and what a song needs to sound great but I tend to become stuck when I'm trying to build well progressed melodies.

I'm really interested in networking and collaborating along the way as well as receiving feedback and constructive criticism from other talented producers with the same passion.

I'm a total novice at this point and I'm fully aware that I have a long way to go yet but hopefully with making some friends along the way I'll get to where I need to be. Looking forward to getting to know

Last edited by a moderator:
as a person who made beats for fun three years (still do though but wanted to get melodies out faster so i buckled down slightly) before actually messing around with sound design and learning how to read music by ear along with the staff, I'd advise not doing what i did and learn the real music stuff first because it makes the hard things simpler.

whatever you plan on using, learn that device like you would learn something else you enjoy.Repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat.Whether it's a hobby or job just treat it like fun.

I started by messing around with samples getting samples that fit together laid out into a track, make sure your transitions are on point, 4 bars , 16 bars...,2 bars etc. Then once you get a solid foundation down start learning how to mix and add effects and panning. Then learn how to master. Its a 3 step process that I do. I'm still very amateur but I found with my DAW (FL Studio 11) I can lay thing's out quick. What takes time is getting the mixing and mastering where I want it.

Back