A hardware workstation that can use software sound packs.

GarishGuac

Hi Im looking for a hardware workstation that can use software sound packs. Basically because I love using the hardware workstations (workflow, ease etc.) but i hate being limited to the onboard sounds. Is there any hardware workstation that has software compatability? For example something like a motif that i couldeasily load drum packs into or synth samples.

Two come to mind. The Alesis fusions allow certain sample libraries including soundfonts to be uploaded. The other is a Open Labs product.

Two come to mind. The Alesis fusions allow certain sample libraries including soundfonts to be uploaded. The other is a Open Labs product.

How is the alesis? U are the second person to mention that to me, im just wondering why it's not that popular. Also which open labs product?

And, well, all the workstations that can play back user samples can theoretically do this. Some conversions may be in order, though.

or u could always make, download, or buy more. most hardware synths have card slots for more sounds

And, well, all the workstations that can play back user samples can theoretically do this. Some conversions may be in order, though.

Yea I know this can be done but with my motif it is such a long process its not even worth it for all the sound additions i want to make. Is there a keybaord that is more receptive to adding sampled sounds like mabye the roland or something?

I have an alesis fusion.... it's got a great sound once you throw in all the freepacks you can get on line (when I got my 88hd for $799 it only had i think 600mb of sounds in it. now it has over 10 gigs of sounds in it! for free!) you have to becarefull when buying it make sure to ask if it has any build quality issues. they are known for not having the best build quality. but for the price it is an AMAZING synth. I love the drum synth and the analog model synth in it. plus the physical model synth gets a great sound too. very much worth the money. though it's heavy as sin. the 88 key is I think about 90 lbs.
a friend of mine got a 61 version and it's much more manageable if you wanna lug it around.
check this site out.
http://fusioneer.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usersounds
there are some pretty active fusion forums out there with great stuff like this.

The free Fusion Convertor can translate Soundfonts, WAVs, AIFFs and Akai S1/2/3/5/6000 and Z4/8/MPC4000 sounds to Fusion format.
Translation is pretty good but some 'tweaking' will be necessary within Fusion itself.

oh here is a great spot to get started with a ton of great sounds.
http://www.alesis.com/fusion8hd
click on downloads. make sure your os is up to date and READ THE MANUAL BEFORE YOU PUT SOUNDS IN!

Last edited:
I didn't realize that the Fusion was discontinued. I only found out a few weeks ago that Oasys was also discontinued.

I didn't realize that the Fusion was discontinued. I only found out a few weeks ago that Oasys was also discontinued.

But... since the Oasys was just a big pretty PC I'm sure all that wonderful software is still in use...

Why not look for a synth that dose the plug-in thing?
Motif - Virus - M3

Last edited:
But... since the Oasys was just a big pretty PC I'm sure all that wonderful software is still in use...

I wouldn't say that. Oasys was a big pretty PC, but (unlike Neko) all of the software that it ran was strictly proprietary. So the only people still using that "wonderful software" are the people who own an Oasys.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that. Oasys was a big pretty PC, but (unlike Neko) all of the software that it ran was strictly proprietary. So the only people still using that "wonderful software" are the people who own an Oasys.

And Sound designers with access to that big pretty proprietary computers multiple synth software engines...

Or maybe not. For all we know the Oasys might be Unix based...

LOOK

Last edited:
Could be, but I don't think it makes a difference. It's not like Korg is selling softsynths using the Oasys as a marketing point.

Back