4+ Years Could Be Potentially Ruined

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranberryice

Need your opinion on something. I'm a 19 year old EDM (house and trap) producer, been producing for around 6 months. Gained a fair amount of popularity in my town. Enough popularity to score my first gig, a concert in front of the university I'll be attending in 4 days. The gig is September 10th. They're giving me an hour set before a rapper. Problem is, I have little actual DJ experience. I have a fair amount of knowledge though.

I need your opinion though. Considering it's my first time performing, time needs to be spent on stage presence, and if I screw this up it will ruin the next 4+ years of my life at college, which is my best option?

1) Learn to DJ live with Traktor Pro 2 program (apparently warps tracks correctly 95% of the time)
2) Take the time to warp all of my tracks and DJ live with Ableton Live
3) Make a pre-recorded mix in Ableton and go on stage and press play so it's guaranteed that I don't **** something up, and also be able to focus on my stage presence more
4)Make a pre-recorded mix in Ableton and import it into the Traktor program and go on stage and press play so it's guaranteed that I don't **** something up, and also be able to focus on my stage presence more

Thanks

5D9EED88-267C-458B-B1EE-2009EDCF678C-10672-0000054CF92F57DD.jpg

Last edited:
OK let's check I understood correctly: You signed up for a DJ gig where you are to spin music other that yours without having practiced the skill at all eventhough you seem to have the necessary gear?

Abandon options 3 & 4 if you hope that this results in more future gigs. Both programs should be able to do the job for you, but why would you not go with Traktor if you own the gear? And just for possible future gigs, try to learn to beat mix without the program adjusting the tempo automatically.

Hopefully you know your music collection. This is the key combined to knowingyour audience and what they are looking to hear from you, not your stage presence, you aren't the one doing the rapping.. Spend the remaining time practicing as much as possible.

1. Know your music, might be a good idea to make at least a mental note of a few songs that you are going to play, but don't do a complete set list..
2. Practise mixing with the program and do this as much as possible.

Stick to the basics while doing your set. Don't be afraid of messing up a little (being relaxed instead of afraid will make messing up less likely), and if you do, don't panic as most people won't notice anyways as long as the music doesn't stop. And there is no way on earth this could ruin your college years.

OK let's check I understood correctly: You signed up for a DJ gig where you are to spin music other that yours without having practiced the skill at all eventhough you seem to have the necessary gear?

Abandon options 3 & 4 if you hope that this results in more future gigs. Both programs should be able to do the job for you, but why would you not go with Traktor if you own the gear? And just for possible future gigs, try to learn to beat mix without the program adjusting the tempo automatically.

Hopefully you know your music collection. This is the key combined to knowingyour audience and what they are looking to hear from you, not your stage presence, you aren't the one doing the rapping.. Spend the remaining time practicing as much as possible.

1. Know your music, might be a good idea to make at least a mental note of a few songs that you are going to play, but don't do a complete set list..
2. Practise mixing with the program and do this as much as possible.

Stick to the basics while doing your set. Don't be afraid of messing up a little (being relaxed instead of afraid will make messing up less likely), and if you do, don't panic as most people won't notice anyways as long as the music doesn't stop. And there is no way on earth this could ruin your college years.

Yes, 100% correct. I'm not gonna decline the offer man. Gotta go for things sometimes. I know it won't ruin 4 years, it was just a catchy title, haha. But anyway, yes, I do know my music collection, and do know how to beat mix, just not too experienced doing it... I just figured that making a preconfigured set, as pussy as it sounds, and perfecting it in the comfort of my own home, would be a better option, because I don't know how much time I'll actually get to practicing beat mixing. But I appreciate the advice man! Any other takes on this?

Go for it with no fear! i would use traktor, as i have found it to be a little more flexible. but DONT come up with a mix before hand and hit play. that compromises your legitimacy as a DJ. For now, practice beat and pitch matching (if you know your music, this is alot easier than youd think) and you will be strait!

Go for it with no fear! i would use traktor, as i have found it to be a little more flexible. but DONT come up with a mix before hand and hit play. that compromises your legitimacy as a DJ. For now, practice beat and pitch matching (if you know your music, this is alot easier than youd think) and you will be strait!

Okay.... Thanks! Any other opinions? Appreciate them!

Last edited:
Don't worry you will f*** up, and chances are no one will care. College crowds are over all forgiving. If you kinda know what you are doing use tracktor. You'll potentially learn from doing this gig.

And my advise is don't stop djing.. Dj every chance you get, not just edm concerts, but clubs, weddings, restaurants, You'll learn so much about crowds flow, how to keep a dance floor, and stage presence.

What does 'concentrate on stage presence' entail?

You know, jumping around, heart hands, etc. Like this: :victory:

In all honesty, practice practice practice. Do your homework and study for the grades, but free time set up the lil controller thingy you bought and go to town. Learn how to beatmatch in case you can't bring whatever it is you're using to a future gig.

just accept that the four years are ruined, four years you will never get back, four years of pain and suffering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back