25 Things A&Rs Want You To Know

the irony of this list is if you are doing all of these things you do not need an a&r at all or a label for that matter.

the irony of this list is if you are doing all of these things you do not need an a&r at all or a label for that matter.

yeah this list shows that A&Rs basically demand that you do there job for them... but Honestly its for the better because if they chase you, then you have leverage.

What list is saying that A&R have gotten more comfortable over the years so they are looking someone easy to make money with

yeah this list shows that A&Rs basically demand that you do there job for them... but Honestly its for the better because if they chase you, then you have leverage.
leverage for them to own you and your music while you give them a larger percentage of your money? no Thanks. I look at a guy like Macklemoore no label backing #1 song in the country right now. That is the way to go. Its more work and sure he got lucky because that won't happen for most but you really stand to put more money in your pocket being indie. Do you want money or fame? Labels will help you get fame but that's about it at this point they expect you to do everything they are supposed to do before they sign you and if that's the case and I am already doing all of that work or have a team that does then wtf do I need them for? Screw labels

leverage for them to own you and your music while you give them a larger percentage of your money? no Thanks. I look at a guy like Macklemoore no label backing #1 song in the country right now. That is the way to go. Its more work and sure he got lucky because that won't happen for most but you really stand to put more money in your pocket being indie. Do you want money or fame? Labels will help you get fame but that's about it at this point they expect you to do everything they are supposed to do before they sign you and if that's the case and I am already doing all of that work or have a team that does then wtf do I need them for? Screw labels

Actually Macklemore isn't fully independent. That song was promoted by Warner Brothers, which helped it go to #1.

Most A&R's I talked to are very different...They kinda don't even seem that professional...They talk and talk about whats going on in the industry and whats going to happen. Most of the time they're looking to break a new artist and don't have credibility under their belt....They will say I know ____ over at that camp...Im gonna send this over there...Ill give you an email. These dudes can give you a serious run around and play a send game with you...be careful. Well that's a lot of what I went through, but not with all. The article does say some very good points...but honestly its to structured...Its like your about to meet the King and his royal family. Usually they just want you to be comfortable talking to them especially when they reached out to you...talk like down to earth regular ppl...well "rich down to earth regular ppl" lol. Just be yourself and use common sense when meeting ppl.

True but he is not signed to a label. Distribution and being a label artist are two totally different things.

Yes but you were talking about his #1 song, which was promoted by a major label. And distribution companies do help market, so in essence, he was marketed by a major.

Great Article, It seems that this how an artist would want to do it, learn as much as you will through experience.

+1

True but he is not signed to a label. Distribution and being a label artist are two totally different things.

Macklemore is signed to ADA which has a major promotion deal with Warner Music.
ADA is basically using Warner to reach top airplay and sales in other countries outside the US. People don't realize, that you actually need manpower to ship the singles to the local radio stations of those countries. That's where Warner comes into play. They have offices in every major city in europe. They have a ton of product mangers assigned to place Macklemore's catalogue in ads, radio, tv, etc.

That's how you create an international hit.

A&R were used to find new acts
and then develop those acts
now you must be developed and ready if you want to approach a label or have a label approach you
developed in most cases is having a huge buzz and/or following

in some cases (in some genres) it's having a great songs

its now the fast food(microwave) type of music industry at the Major Level

-Coach Antonio

I'm more than willing and able to get the job done, and more; regardless if a record label's aboard or not. I recommend taking responsibility for the music we create, and more, by doing something constructive instead of looking for what we can get. The fact is it takes a certain level of professional involvement and professionalism to achieve success. Rather success to means signing with a record label or selling music independently, professionals want to know we can handle our business before offering contracts or services. Record label executives know who their going in business with, even if artists themselves are business ignorant. Therefore it's in our best interest, as producers, to learn the music business by becoming more involved with its inner workings at every possible level. Maximize on the strong points we find within ourselves while increasing the strengths of the our weaknesses.

Attachments

• real-hip-hop.jpg
    real-hip-hop.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 19
Back