2014 Making Your Own Drum Kits is Overrated & Played Out?

AdverseLogic

DeAndre Freeman
I've been using my own drum kits for a minute now. And just wonder if that's played out because it seems like all the(online) trap producers now are using a lex luger or zaytoven kit and all the boom bap and soul samplers are using a dilla or 9th's kit. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
and their own patchbanks
ufIgV.gif

Last edited:
Making your own kits is like actual work and takes time.
Besides that it is a big risk, what if I create a kit but it sounds nothing like what is currently the hot seller. There is no room for unique sounds in this game.

/sarcasm

i agree alot of drums people in the industry use are the same... but i use my own drumkit with a shit load of dope drums to try and be different... think i'm gonna upload a free drum kit for you guys today..

Making your own kits is like actual work and takes time.
Besides that it is a big risk, what if I create a kit but it sounds nothing like what is currently the hot seller. There is no room for unique sounds in this game.

/sarcasm

No need for sarcasm, that's actually the truth.

97%? More like 99%.

I've never perceived "success" to depend on having my own sounds per say. It all lies in how you put it together and make it sound and feel.

yagi

97%? More like 99%.

I've never perceived "success" to depend on having my own sounds per say. It all lies in how you put it together and make it sound and feel.

yagi

I agree with this dude.

Remember when Lil Jon's drumkits where the sh't, like he invented his own sounds?

Nope, he just took em out of 808's tweaked em, and slapped a "Lil Jon" name on 'em.

For future reference, when you perceive everyone else to be going right...go left.

if you see everyone around you running away from a stampede to save their life, run toward the stampede.....????

............sometimes comforming is necessary............

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using my own drum kits for a minute now. And just wonder if that's played out because it seems like all the(online) trap producers now are using a lex luger or zaytoven kit and all the boom bap and soul samplers are using a dilla or 9th's kit. What do you guys think?
I think you are over thinking it. Most established producers that have been at it for a while have long ago found their go to drum kits. There is nothing wrong with having your own kits but nobody really gives a shit where your drums come from

I can make my own kits but somehow the 9th Wonder Kit & J Dilla Kit seem to sound better. i agree with OP.

And of course Croup - Deadly Drums & Filthy Drums basically has all those good Boom Bap Drums.

I feel like if you wanna tweek your sounds you should.... I tweek all my drum samples or kits i get.. Why not if you think it sounds better then do it.......

Whats with all the concern about "being whats hot right now" why cant you make what you want and maybe what you make with your creativity and it could then soon be called whats "hot right now"..... idk my 2 cents

I want something quick and ready to go. It usually hurts my work flow If I spend too much time tweaking, messing around with drums.
In the end it all comes down to the finished product.

Back