2012 Hardware Sampling Workstations

jahrome

Diamond Member
Off the top of my head, the current hardware (including hybrids) samplers/sampling workstations in the market (in no particular order) are Korg Kronos/M3/Microsampler/Electribe, Yamaha Motif XF, Roland Fantom G/V-Synth/SP workstations, Native Instruments Maschine, Akai MPC 5000/1000/500, Arturia Spark, Elecktron Machine Drum, etc...sorry if I missed your favorite. This is a lot of tools for sampling producers. Many of these products have functions that are exclusive.

In 2011/2012....what would need to be in a modern sampling workstation in order for you to stop using what you are using now and spend your holiday bonus/income tax rebate check, etc on?

Last edited:
I want to see Roland really go in on a new MV. I always wanted an MV and still do, it's really it's own eco system. I think if they took the "virtual fantom" chip that they put in that Cakewalk vstudio, and threw that in an MV, along with all the other stuff the mv is known for, as well as giving it a similar OS like the Vsynth which you could load in new synth models, they would have a winner. Keep everything it had, just tighten it up, add more audio tracks maybe 16-24, add a real workstation class sound generation engine and not just a virtual analog bass synth.....I really think they have the ability to shift the market in my opinion.

This is my dream lol. Maschine already has me impressed software/hybrid wise...but I think I would be more excited about a full workstation class MV than any other hardware concept at this point.

Because the mv8800 is already pretty much a full standalone unit, you can go from concept to reality right there. I really think the MV was underated by many, but I love it...I stay on eBay looking for "that deal" but always cautious just in case they actually do come out with a new unit.

Even if it wasn't an open synth engine (like Kronos) and they just stuck a fantom chip in there like they did with that vstudio they did with Cakewalk, on top of everything else the MV is already known for...I'd get it.

For me, in the future, i would be looking for a workstation that incorporates seamlessly with the computer basically like Yamaha and Cubase, but rather out of the box, and not have to purchase mLan, etc. I think Korg is getting there with the Kronos. I still kind of want a Kronos, but after playing it, didn't think it put my Motif XS to shame, and at $2999, it did a few categories better and some worse. Roland is not really letting me down these days. The Fantom G was almost a step backwards from the Fantom X, and the Jupiter 80 is not really filling that workstation space. Yamaha is starting to run the Motif line a little long in the tooth also. The Motif is a great board, but they aren't really bringing much to each new version.

Sometimes I wonder is standalone drum pad workstations like MPC and MVs have run their course. Both Akai and Roland haven't updated their flagship drum samplers since 2008/2009. Roland has since discontinued the MV. This wouldn't happen if they were making a profit. Hardware/software hybrids seem to be the wave of the future and probably much cheaper to produce.

I like what Yamaha is doing with the way the Motif is married to Cubase. Being able to create a project in the Motif and open it in Cubase to complete is a nice concept that other workstation manufacturers have yet to capitalize on. The jury is out on the Kronos as I am still waiting for the Program/Plug-in editor. If it doesn't support multi-track audio (up to 16 stereo channel), I would be disappointed. This is what I would expect a next-level product to accomplish. Roland's Fantom G Editor is awefully slow and not worth using.

I agree with the hybrid thing, I think all hardware should be tightly integrated with software in the same way. However, I do think there is still room for a hardware workstation, but it would need to be vastly more superior than what they were in the past, to the point of being a conglomerate of pretty much most of the major hardware devices over the years. If they took the sampler, sequencer, digital recorder, workstation, and synth...and put it into one box like the MV....then it could be nice. Only reason I say Roland is because the MV is really close to the workflow of having a computer and so could really still stay viable in these times. Plus they should make it interface with a computer properly...I just am not a fan of Sonar but it could still be a useful tool for dropping hardware projects seamlessly into the computer

Who knows, I don't think we will ever see hardware workstations and such totally die off, but they definitely aren't the only option anymore, and not even the first option for many.

While I still own Roland products, I think it will be hard for me to spend money on another Roland workstation. Roland is the king of adding expensive options to their gear.

Last edited:
Yeah I feel ya, I had a fantom and sold it. I'm really just wishful thinking at this point but it would be cool. If they don't do something like that, is probably pick up a used mv 8800 still.

How you liking that kronos man? I remember first time I saw it last year, I was impressed.

Kronos major selling point is it's 9 sound engines and streaming library. Outside of that, it is a very average workstation. It's sequencer is terrible. Even Korg's M3 is better...the Fantom Gs sequencer is better. Sampling and sample editing is just adequate. The other leading workstations match or exceed what you can accomplish on the Kronos.

yeah, the engines is what I was impressed by, sounds like everything else is just average...not good lol. Thanks

yea everyone's input sound right
but youguys already know companies are not making the dream machine,
just bc they can not milk the hell out of user/buyer,
i(and others) ve been pitching type of sampler that has "sampler part(not s1000) of MPC w/ Big pads"
16 steps/pitch
multi/chromatic samplings,
easy editing easy workflow of MPC
plus better efxs n more sample polys
studio level outputs(4 or 7db i know fantom x n g has the outputs) clear and loud
so that users can use it w/ any sequencer,
for 300 or something
but it will never be on my desk or any1's, bc it would kill(not all but big sales numbers) mpcs

oh well world's not perfact nor fair... =0)

My 2 cents. I wish Native Instruments would create a skillyfully crafted 88 weighted graded hammer action keyboard workstation under 45 pounds with large color touchscreen with an internal replaceable 2TB hard drive dedicated to storage with a solid state drive to access 40 GB of most used samples to store .nki and .nkm files as well as wav and mp3 samples so you never have to buy a hardware synth again, just purchase sound libaries off of EBay for next to nothing. It would need USB and smartcard interfaces. I would like it to also have real time controllers and faders to manipulate patches, ability to create folder categories for various instruments types, ability to insert own images for your libraries (like you see in Kontakt libraries), an integrated robust MIDI/audio sequencer, sampler, sampler editing functions, pads on keyboard to trigger sounds, sequences, songs, or be used as a drum machine. Of course, 512 note polyphony, ability to split 6 layers with different sounds and save each as as a performance grouping. Basically, it's a i7 processor with a keyboard interface and screen built in.

i would love an updated korg esx. i would add two drum/phrase pads a third keyboard part, secondary effects section for a total of six, add 1 slice pad and secondary midi in/out. add the ability to assign each part its own scale and swing. the pads could be a little larger, not mpc large, and return to the first gen es jog wheel. give it a retro em look (black matrix with silver body) and i'm in paradise. it .would look pretty much the same as the current version but would have to be a little larger

I would have loved for Yamaha to re introduce and update the Rs 7000. The features it had when it came out were ahead of its time. It's a very powerful but slept on machine. Peace be with you.........Rob Mixx

That new MPC series looks like a great piece of hardware, although I'd like to see a standalone version. It's nice not to use a computer sometimes; I enjoy my MV8000 that much more after looking at a computer at work all day.

Back