10 things rappers will say to get free beats.

Best part is...

I bet if i was a producer n u wanted a beat id hook u up...
Money.. man it aint bout money i got money... im just trynna get a free track

Can i ask why...??

Im pretty sure the engineer doesnt mind workin for free either...
Or him performing for free....

i dont think you should be making music to earn money, art should be made for the sake of contributing to the art
If its some dude who is gonna make money of a track with your beat ofc you should get your share of the profit
But if its some dude who isnt famous and isnt really making any money i would gladly give away free beats

I partially agree with that... but some people want a carrer as a producer not just a hobby...
N idk... i mean if we are going to continue to work with each other then yea ill do soome for free...
But engineers dnt work for free... managers dnt work for free... Nobody in the chain of the product is working for free
except producers... there no respect n that... b/c without us they dnt have anything.. yet we are the ones who r suppose to give...
N that will never change if ppl are givin away n chargen a dollar for a track....

exactly! Why should we as producers be the only one not getting paid on the process?

I'm doing this for a living. I HAVE to get paid for my music.
Back when I was still working a regular 9 to 5 while producing on the side, sure I'll pass out some beats here and there, but since I fully focussed on turning this into a carreer, it makes no sense for me to give freebies away.

But engineers dnt work for free... managers dnt work for free... Nobody in the chain of the product is working for free

Most are charging for a service.
In other words, something tied to an accountable number of hours worked.
Another section is based on a percentage of earnings.

If there's no 'percentage' to get a piece of, then you are asking for money from what monies?
The way to get around this is to charge for studio time [a service] and the beats are free until they are part of what brings income.

There's a weird place pof landing where a rapper is large enough that free beats make sense -- he's established enough to be worthy of free beats, BUT! doesn't have any compensation to slide your way.

If a rapper is rapping for free, it doesn't make sense for him to be buying the beats for his demos.
But that also harkens back to the days when the rapper and DJ/beatmaker were part of the same crew so this was never an issue till making beats was a cool thing to do.

the entire concept of charging a certain price for a beat is retarded.
you should be getting percentages since you made like half the song

keep in mind, you get paid as a producer not because you made a beat, but because you made a hit record. if that wack rapper goes out and makes some wackiness that goes nowhere nobody gets mad, but if he makes a hit and you didn't get no paperwork or worse you felt satisfied with that quick $100 you made earlier then that's on you amigo. get paperwork.

% > a few $$ upfront

Everyone sees the lifestyle and wants to live like Kanye. I know good things take time and you pay money for quality. I'm not charging $2K a beat but if you genuinely like a beat of mine then be willing to pay a bit for it. Respectively, if a rapper takes the time to write lyrics and put their voice on a track then they expect other people to buy it. Lets be real!

That was my point of view... everyone in the chain of production is gettin paid... but we have to wait or is expected to give it for free

Back