1/4" TRS to RCA mono?

lsc9x

Ok, I might have already answered my own question, but here's what I need to know:

Is there such a thing as a 1/4" TRS cable to a single mono RCA? Or is that even needed?

Here is my specific issue:

1) I want to minimize any and all line noise I can!
2) I have the following setup:

Mac >> USB Cable >> Presonus Audiobox USB w / 2 "impedance balanced" 1/4" outs >> ??? >> 2 RCA "ins" (left and right) on DJ Mixer. (My question is about the "???" cable.)

So, I ordered a Monster 1/4" to RCA cable which does have right and left shielded cables for both the 1/4" ends and the RCA ends. But I noticed that the 1/4" ends are NOT TRS, they are mono 1/4" connectors. Which would make sense since the RCA connections are also mono.

My question is: Do I even NEED a TRS 1/4" connector if I am connecting from a balanced output to an unbalanced RCA? Or, will the mono non-TRS 1/4" to RCA plugs work fine in balanced output ports coming from the Presonus?

I already know that the mono 1/4" connections on the Presonus WORK with non-TRS 1/4" connectors to RCA BUT I'm new to all of this and just want to make sure I don't FRY anything by using the wrong 1/4" cable or have my audio quality be bad for PA systems!

If I am understanding the whole thing correctly I would assume that each 1/4" to RCA line already has a 1 ground + 1 signal line in mono, so I shouldn't need a TRS cable which has both right and left channels with a 3rd grounding wire.

Mono 1/4" to mono RCA should work in a balanced TRS port, while ignoring the "ring" part of the connector. Is that correct?

Thanks! Peace.

Last edited:
the point of balanced lines is to improve noise reduction by sending two copies of the same signal down separate lines with one line inverted 180[sup]o[/sup] out of phase to the other. At the other end the non-inverted line is inverted (to keep linear timing) so that the two signals have the same polarity. they are then summed, creating a 3db in signal level whilst at the same time removing any induced noise in the two signal lines (I'll come back with a picture or two later).

If you short out one of the two signal lines to earth no big deal, but the signal will only be 1/2 what it could be, so you will need to boost the gain of the line. Also no noise elimination as any induced noise will still be in the signal.

In short, unless you do not have any other option going into your DJ deck, use the balanced line inputs that should be available.

you should tell us your DJ mixer name and model so we can provide a more detailed setup for you...............

Back