Problem with BASS! Please help =)

ItsMeLewie

I've recently started using and learning to use Reason 5, i like to create dubstep/grime tracks but 'im having trouble with making a nice fat bass sound actually 'fit in' to a melody/tune, if you get what i mean!

can anyone help please!?

Thanks

Really? i used to use FL Studio and made some pretty nice basses on that but had to switch because my computer sucked and couldnt handle the VSTS. ive recently updated the pc though so i could try this but ive managed to make some pretty nice sounds on reason aswell its just getting them to sound right is the problem :\

Some audio examples of what you mean by not sounding nice would help.

I would suggest that you go through the presets for each of the synths to find bass sounds that you like first and then create/choose other sounds that match/work with them.

You are expressing a dissatisfaction with sound choice which is a sound design issue. Sound design is not just about creating new sounds, but integrating existing sounds to make a cogent whole - spend more time finding sounds that work together initially rather than hunting for them later.....

Thanks for your replys, i did actually create the bass/sounds from an initialised patch so there pretty much from scratch! you sound very knowledgeable. i can send you a clip if thats cool would just need your email as i cannot post links yet lol :\the way i go about stuff on reason is mostly trial and error as my technical knowledge of the program is not great atal! but obviously this is very time consuming! thanks

Fat bass on reason is pretty hard. I have been going through the same kind of thing. My solution was to get Ableton and use massive and Fm8 with the camel phattener some EQ and make samples out of that. But if you just want to use reason i would suggest using Thor and sending the bass through a Notch filter and comb filter. Eq the shit put a chorus on. experiment with feedbacking osc into each other using the matrix at the bottom. Also I also found when you take the amp and put in into the pitch of an osc you can get a nice distortion that really brings out some nice high frequencies. Other than that you can use Malstroms Modulators to effect filters and scream parameters using the awesome CV's.

Back