When is Compression used?

Alot of people say they use compression but I don't see where I can use it. How is it used and what is it used for?

Someone on here will probably explain compression more technically then I can. I essentially view it is helping something "cut through" it will bring the quiet parts of an instrument up and not let the loud parts get too crazy, essentially "balance" the sound more so you can hear more of the instrument. NOw, based on you posting this forum I would recommend to not even bother with compression yet. It personally took me two years to actually be able to hear what the hell the compressor is doing. Go ahead and load up a compressor on one of your mixes(pick a single instrument you feel isn't being pulled through enough) move all the controls individually and carefully listen to what is happening to the sound. If you don't notice any change don't bother compressing, novice compression always makes things worse.

Now let's say you hear the changes it can make, when to use it:

"a lot of people say these use compression" a lot of people also ruin their track by over-compressing everything thinking there is a "golden rule" on every track. Every track is different. You never need compression. Personally I will always fully mix a track without compression, I will apply light compression in the final stages of a mix if I think a SINGLE instrument or two needs it. Never jump the gun on compression. Howver I generally always use sidechain compression for my bass to help my kick cut through.(ducks the bass everytime your kick hits).

Always pan your track and adjust levels. IF something isn't sitting right try some light EQing, verbs etc. Only compress IF needed or your song will sound like it's coming out of a metal shoe box

I only use compression im trying to boost fat sounds 808/fat bass or if I'm chaining something to the kick so it ducks. I feel like I use it too much though

Compression and EQ are your best friends when you are mixing. Don't fall in the mistake of not using it in your work. Watch some tutorials to see how it works because it is essential for optimum sound.

What it does basically is compressing the sound a few db's and raising the dynamic range of the compressed track (It is used almost in everything you put in your mix).

I can explain it to you in a written way but I'm sure you wouldn't quite get it. Watch a video so you can listen the actual difference between a compressed and a not compressed track.

so before compressors existed or were common how did we create this optimum sound?

I'm sorry I just see red when yet another noob tells us that eq and compression must be done to every song and every track in every song
- it is blind optimism that this will somehow make the sound better
- in most cases the sounds being used have already been eq'd and compressed for optimum quality by the companies providing the samples
-- adding another layer of eq and compression won't make them better and will, in all likelihood, make them sound worse

2nd problem: the application of compression does not increase dynamic range of a track but reduces it
- that is its purpose, to reduce the dynamic range of a signal so that the difference between points of high amplitude and low amplitude are made closer together
-- this is done by reducing the level of the signal above a given threshold by some ratio
--- the higher the ratio the more pronounced the reduction in signal amplitude
- adding make-up gain to the channel does not change this fundamental aspect of compression, only highlights that we make the signal subjectively quieter by applying it

You're right. The compressor doesn't increase the dynamic range of the compressed track, it just increases the input signal with a gain control. I didn't explained myself well, but I must disagree with you about not using it in your mix. Yes, most of the samples electronic producers use are already processed, but EQ and Compression helps you glue them together and make each sample sound exactly as you mean to. They may sound pretty well independently, but in the context of your mix they might sound a little out of place and these two help you correct those details.

That is in the case you produce with only samples and synths. When you actually record your music as most of the musicians in almost every other genre (except for Pop, R&B, Hip-Hop, etc) using Compression and EQ is a rule of thumb.

Last edited:
You're right. The compressor doesn't increase the dynamic range of the compressed track, it just increases the input signal with a gain control.

again not true - you use a make-up gain control to increase the overall signal level

some compressors allow you to boost the gain before compressing (allows you to boost an otherwise ok signal so that compression occurs), some allow it after, some do it at both ends

I didn't explained myself well, but I must disagree with you about not using it in your mix. Yes, most of the samples electronic producers use are already processed, but EQ and Compression helps you glue them together and make each sample sound exactly as you mean to. They may sound pretty well independently, but in the context of your mix they might sound a little out of place and these two help you correct those details.

And I would have to disagree with you as there is no need to or must about any form of processing, only what is necessary for the current job

That is in the case you produce with only samples and synths. When you actually record your music as most of the musicians in almost every other genre (except for Pop, R&B, Hip-Hop, etc) using Compression and EQ is a rule of thumb.

a rule of thumb or heuristic can be ignored if the track does not warrant it.

in most cases in a live performance or recording context, a compressor would be applied to
1) limit excessive excursions of the loudspeakers in a performance venue (burning out the coils and ripping the cones would be the direct result of not dealing with this issue) i.e. used as master buss compressor
2) applied to signals with inconsistent dynamic response (playing issues or an inability to generate a sufficiently loud output from the instrument) to manage them and make them heard in the mix (mostly bass guitar and some horn parts)

there are other reasons to use or not use a compressor, search here at fp for other ideas

Back