What should I think about when planning an album?

Hi,

I'm just planning to create my first album. I make electronic dance music.

What do you think I should think about while planning the album? For example I could make a plan and use headlines for different parts of the plan...

What do you think these headlines could be?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen to current and past great albums from your genre.

Okay, there are two ways to do it: one way that I'm comfortable with doing, and one that most famous artists do. Really, it delves down to ease or comfort.

My way: make a concept before you make a song. Thinking of how you want the songs to sound or how you want the story or overall visual to pan out doesn't mean shit if you don't have a concept to wrap around it. With your concept, you can delve deeper into your music and build off of yourself making yourself a better producer in the process.

Or the other way: listen to the different genres you usually listen to, then listen to songs from your genre and build your songs off of the sounds you hear. In a way, this sounds like plagiarism, but it's not. It's simply making your music sound much more commercial and overall likable. At the end, your music will sound less cohesive when put together, but you'll most likely have many songs to choose from rather than only a few for a section of your story.

Again, like I said, it delves down to rather you want to make it easier on yourself or emotionally comfortable for yourself. All-in-all, this is your chance to debut your sound and to debut yourself. So, whichever you feel is the best way, I think it's either of the two that could help you make that amazing album!

BTW, where can I listen to some of your stuff?!

Album Planning
Concept: what links the album together
The Story Arc: how do you tell the story and in what sequence do we learn things
The Story Unfolded: track by track breakdown of the story
Resolutions and continuations: does this link to another (future or parallel) album and in what ways

The rest is simply filling in the blanks

Let it grow organically is my 2 cents. Don't force anything, it's not like you have a label breathing down your neck. If you have developed your own style and feel it represents you as a musical individual, then focus on how to best present that to an audience. The album format for dance music is rather unusual it seems like, it's mostly centered around single releases, so it might be fun to treat it like you are tracking a soundtrack to a movie maybe? That's always a fun approach for me.

Also, not really sure what you mean about headlines.

When planning an album, listen to all of your tracks carefully, and then choose which songs you believe your audience would like and remember. Make album/coverart of course. You may want to throw in a few unreleased (if you have any) music on there and be sure to announce that at release.

Back