what scale are lead synth's for club songs usually in?

RhyanCrisis

i can't find the scale mood for club banger sounding songs... like usher OMG... flo rida ft t-pain low.... things of that nature. btw.. what synth is that?... kinda sounds like a dirty synth.. i was guessing a sawtooth wave.. but i could be wrong..

Google "major scale". Major scale and its modes are the main scales used in Pop music. These are the major scales Ionian , dorian, phyrigian, lydian, myxolodian , aeolian, and locrain. (sorry if i misspelled a few of them, i do not speak old latin languages :P)
Depends on the artist which scales will tend to be used, nearly ALL pop artist play in those major scales . Also look up Penatonic scales, those are very common variations of the major scale.

Different artist use different lead synths too. Synths that layer different sound waves are very common. "wasp" synths are common . And saw variations are very common too. If you look through the presets of a good synth software, you will tend to find very similar sounds to ones on pop songs

Hope that helped bro!

Last edited:
Ionian - Check - the major Scale ~ eg CDEFGABC
Dorian - Check - minor type ~ eg CDEbFGABbC
Phrygian - nope - minor type ~ eg CDbEbFGAbBbC
Lydian - Check - Major type ~ eg CDEF#GABC
Mixolydian - nope - Major type ~ eg CDEFGABbC
Aeolian - Check - Natural minor scale ~ eg CDEbFGAbBbC
Locrian - nope - diminished type ~ eg CDbEbFGbAbBbC

and they are Greek words not Latin

Last edited:
Ionian - Check - the major Scale ~ eg CDEFGABC
Dorian - Check - minor type ~ eg CDEbFGABbC
Phrygian - nope - minor type ~ eg CDbEbFGAbBbC
Lydian - Check - Major type ~ eg CDEF#GABC
Mixolydian - nope - Major type ~ eg CDEFGABbC
Aeolian - Check - Natural minor scale ~ eg CDEbFGAbBbC
Locrian - nope - diminished type ~ eg CDbEbFGbAbBbC

and they are Greek words not Latin
Lol yeah, i get latin and Greek confused all the time. I could have probably found it by googling it. but i got lazy .

Thats pretty cool Though. I always knew that Aeolian was called the natural minor. but i didn't know doria and phrygian were called minors, and locrian was a diminished . Makes sense though. Its related to the chord naming system right?

You are very knowledgeable about the music theory i got to say!

Lol yeah, i get latin and Greek confused all the time. I could have probably found it by googling it. but i got lazy .

Thats pretty cool Though. I always knew that Aeolian was called the natural minor. but i didn't know Dorian and phrygian were called minors, and locrian was a diminished . Makes sense though. Its related to the chord naming system right?

Basically it is what chord can I build from the first note - if it is a major then the mode functions as a major based mode.

if it is minor then it is a minor function mode.

And lastly the diminished chord, so we have a mode that functions in the diminished.

You are very knowledgeable about the music theory i got to say!

Thanks.

What can I say, I studied composition which is all about applied theory. And now I give back to those who need to know.

hm, makes alot of sense. By that , makes me wonder why they didn't call aeolian a "dominant" scale. Since you make the dominant chord on that interval right?

And yeah, no problem. It is really helpful. I can tell that you have studied. I have learned a good bit just reading your past 3 posts. Lol Not sucking up i swear xD

Aeolian is the sixth mode, and the natural minor.
Mixolydian is the fifth mode, and would qualify as the Dominant mode, as this is the dominant 7th generating mode for the root chord ~ CEGBb - 135b7

Don't worry about the scale cause even the chinese pentatonic scales or the indian ragas can be used for that else well it's all about the scale and size of your creativity amigo !

Back