What key is this song in?? David Ruffin - The Double Cross

Dont know but id go google- vitual dj an download the free verison - you can drop any song in there an it will tell you the bpm as well as the key- i use it all the time

Use your ear. I'd do it for you now if I had my setup with me, but my keyboard is at home, & I don't feel like doin all the extra sh!t right now. I suggest you YouTube How To Find The Key To Any Song, & Jermaine Griggs HearAndPlay video should be the first that comes up. It all goes back to using your ear & it's a wonderful technique to have in your arsenal.

So it starts as

I -IV[sup](b7)[/sup] - I - IV[sup](b7)[/sup] -

I - I[sub]/7[/sub] - vi - III - V[sup]7[/sup] - I - IV - vi - ii - [sup]#[/sup]iv[sup]7b5[/sup] - V - I

(the rest is left as an exercise in listening for you to finish....)

In this context the [sup]b7[/sup] means dominant 7 (i.e. a major chord with a minor 7th added) - it is in parentheses because it is played as a decoration note on the cello.

This seems to be in E[sup]b[/sup] so the progression ends up being:

E[sup]b[/sup] -A[sup]b(7)[/sup] - E[sup]b[/sup] -A[sup]b(7)[/sup] -

E[sup]b[/sup] - E[sup]b[/sup][sub]/D[/sub] - C min - G[sup]7[/sup] - B[sup]b7[/sup] - E[sup]b[/sup] - A[sup]b[/sup] - Cmin - Fmin - Am[sup]7b5[/sup] - B[sup]b[/sup] - E[sup]b[/sup]

Most telling of all is that I did the transcription in the Roman numeral form (without reference to an instrument) in one go.....

This backs what kebeats said, get your ear-trained and this will be nothing but a game to you..... go to teoria.com and start using their ear training tools to boost your skills

Last edited:
Back