Scales?

Grimsin

So I have been producing for about 2 years, and let me tell you what a long but great journey it has been, but I need to expand my knowledge on music theory and scales, etc. Usually i pick a scale and use image lines pitcher to get the right notes, but I would rather just know what notes to be used in a scale. Should i keep using pitcher, and learn that way? or can someone point me to a good FREE online keyboard music class. I say free because i just spent my last few bucks on a new synth :( bad move. Anyways some tips and advice on how to improve my music theory would be greatly appreciated.

if you go over to hooktheory.com it breaks down a lot of chord progressions and scales used in ALOT of songs.

and their editor is awesome !!

Thanks allot guys! Ill be checking out that website asap. That picture is a little rough, kind of hard to read. but ill check it out. in the mean time check out my tracks :)

click on it and it expands to a full image, right click on it and download to your computer and print it out as you want

awesome image from bandcoach, if you want to improve you playing as well i would seriously recommend researching the correct fingering for the scales and practicing them.

learning scales is pretty boring but so important. take a look at pentatonic and jazz scales because they are great fun once you get them (great to learn if you want to just jam out to any tune)

Hey guys, I have a simple question and didn't want to create a new thread so i hope someone see this. I'm learning the major scales, specifcally the 1st position on the guitar. After looking through a slew of videos and tabs, and actually sitting down to play, its starting to make more sense. However, I'm a big time noob when it comes to music so I'm having trouble sorting though all the info, and tying some loose ends together. I don't have the money for a teacher yet otherwise I obviously would have gone that route, but I just need some input to tie up a loose end here.

So here is my question: When looking at tabs for scales alot of the tabs are different even though they are of the same scale. for example if you look at these two, just focusing on C major 1st position.

#1)

-----------------------------------------------
------------------------------0----1-----------
---------------------0----2--------------------
--------0----2---3-----------------------------
----3------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------

#2)
E|------------------------------0-1-3
B|------------------------0-1-3-----
G|--------------------0-2-----------
D|--------------0-2-3---------------
A|--------0-2-3---------------------
E|--0-1-3---------------------------

Those are two different tabs of the same scale. I realize the 2nd tab is probably an extension of
the first, as there are notes on the top and bottom strings but I'm not sure of the rational behind
this is. So Whats goin on here, can anyone help a noob
out.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a simple question and didn't want to create a new thread so i hope someone see this. I'm learning the major scales, specifcally the 1st position on the guitar. After looking through a slew of videos and tabs, and actually sitting down to play, its starting to make more sense. However, I'm a big time noob when it comes to music so I'm having trouble sorting though all the info, and tying some loose ends together. I don't have the money for a teacher yet otherwise I obviously would have gone that route, but I just need some input to tie up a loose end here.

So here is my question: When looking at tabs for scales alot of the tabs are different even though they are of the same scale. for example if you look at these two, just focusing on C major 1st position.

#1)

E[sub]3[/sub]|------------------------------------
B[sub]2[/sub]|----------------------------0---1---
G[sub]2[/sub]|--------------------0---2-----------
D[sub]2[/sub]|--------0---2---3-------------------
A[sub]1[/sub]|----3-------------------------------
E[sub]1[/sub]|------------------------------------

#2)

E[sub]3[/sub]|------------------------------0-1-3-
B[sub]2[/sub]|------------------------0-1-3-------
G[sub]2[/sub]|--------------------0-2-------------
D[sub]2[/sub]|--------------0-2-3-----------------
A[sub]1[/sub]|--------0-2-3-----------------------
E[sub]1[/sub]|--0-1-3-----------------------------

Those are two different tabs of the same scale. I realize the 2nd tab is probably an extension of
the first, as there are notes on the top and bottom strings but I'm not sure of the rational behind
this is. So Whats goin on here, can anyone help a noob
out.

1) this is called the open position C major scale, because of the use of open string notes as opposed to fretted notes
2) the scale form goes C[sub]2[/sub]-D[sub]2[/sub]-E[sub]2[/sub]-F[sub]2[/sub]-G[sub]2[/sub]-A[sub]2[/sub]-B[sub]2[/sub]-C[sub]3[/sub] in your first example
3) in the second example you have the following: E[sub]1[/sub]-F[sub]1[/sub]-G[sub]1[/sub]-A[sub]1[/sub]-B[sub]1[/sub]-C[sub]2[/sub]-D[sub]2[/sub]-E[sub]2[/sub]-F[sub]2[/sub]-G[sub]2[/sub]-A[sub]2[/sub]-B[sub]2[/sub]-C[sub]3[/sub]-D[sub]3[/sub]-E[sub]3[/sub]-F[sub]3[/sub]-G[sub]3[/sub]
4) so the second example uses notes from above and below to provide a continuation of the scale
5) Learn these other versions of the major scale form as well:

E[sub]3[/sub]|-------------------------------1-2-(4)-
B[sub]2[/sub]|---------------------------2-4---------
G[sub]2[/sub]|---------------------1-3-4-------------
D[sub]2[/sub]|---------------1-3-4-------------------
A[sub]1[/sub]|---------1-2-4-------------------------
E[sub]1[/sub]|-(1)-2-4-------------------------------

The first and last notes are outside of the two octaves of the scale but are included to help reinforce hand shape

E[sub]3[/sub]|---------------------------------------------9-11-13-14-
B[sub]2[/sub]|-------------------------------------9-11-12------------
G[sub]2[/sub]|---------------------------6-8-10-11--------------------
D[sub]2[/sub]|-----------------3-4-6-8-9------------------------------
A[sub]1[/sub]|---------1-2-4-6----------------------------------------
E[sub]1[/sub]|-(1)-2-4------------------------------------------------

This one requires you to slide your fourth finger to:
the 6th fret on the A string,
the 8th and 9th fret on D string,
the 10th and 11th fret on the G string,
the 13th and 14th fret on the top E string.

it covers three octaves.

both of the above are transposable/movable scale forms, allowing you to start at any fret and play the major scale based on that note name: the examples are in G[sup]b[/sup]/F[sup]#[/sup].

there are other ways to play these same scales, but these should suffice for now

Last edited:
Thanks Bandcoach, that helped me out alot. I have more questions but I'll just leave it at this and practice it more to see how it processes. I can't tell you how important of a resource to my learning you and this community has become for me. Much appreciated.

Back