reverse engineer this bass line- Composition + Sound Design

Yumid

Going to try recreating this rhythm line. Its almost like a rolling baseline.

Kicks in at 34 seconds.

To me it sounds like an arp, side chained to the kick. Having a hard time hearing by ear the pattern that the notes are playing, straight chord stabs? is it a slight arp? (it changes throughout song). My next step(that i should be taking before posting this) is importing it into a daw and playing it at half speed so its easier to tell. So I might know after that, but of course, I'm posting questions before actually trying again haha. I like ideas.

Ill be able to figure out the composition by playing around with it, but still curious about feedback anyway. What I'm more curious about is the sound design. Thats an area I need a lot of practice in. I like these sharp 'glassy' sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
what was once called an Alberti bass line because it is a continuously, sinuously, changing arpeggio structure - very common device in Baroque writing as it was the only way to get a sustaining tone out of a harpsichord, also why a lot of the melodic decorative devices we know of were first conceived: extend the central tone of the melodic line by decorating so that the sound did not decay.....

step 1) identify the chords and when they change (spell out each chord as well to make step 2 easier to do)
step 2) start by writing out basic triad arpeggios using the root or 3rd or 5th as first tone (context will tell you which)
step 3) sound design start with a square wave, move the duty cycle to about 55% (i.e. it is now a pulse wave without modulation), filter is sidechained to the kick, short attack, decay and release, sustain at about 60% for the vca and the filter, small amount of resonance

Back