Making my Kick drum clip on purpose and save it ? Fl Studio question

BeatsByD

Im just having fun tryin to figure out how some of the producers got these big knocking distorted kick drums like Jahlil Beats.

Im tryin to eq my kick a little and turn the volume up untill it clips and it kinda sounds like the Jahlil kicks lol. The problem is that i want to save it that way, i mean i obviosly dont want it to clip when im using the kick drum in a project, but i want the kick to sound like it did before saving. When i save, the kick drum got louder but it doesnt sound that way, it is just louder.

I hope this made sense as i didnt know how to describe in another way

I guess the question is how do i save it so it sounds distorted and not just loud?

Im just having fun tryin to figure out how some of the producers got these big knocking distorted kick drums like Jahlil Beats.

Im tryin to eq my kick a little and turn the volume up untill it clips and it kinda sounds like the Jahlil kicks lol. The problem is that i want to save it that way, i mean i obviosly dont want it to clip when im using the kick drum in a project, but i want the kick to sound like it did before saving. When i save, the kick drum got louder but it doesnt sound that way, it is just louder.

I hope this made sense as i didnt know how to describe in another way

I guess the question is how do i save it so it sounds distorted and not just loud?

make sure that you save it to one of the fixed amplitude wav/aiff formats i.e. 24 bit or 16 bit not 32 bit floating point.

even better export a single kick as a cd quality wav/aiff

better still create the sound by using a distortion/saturation plugin rather than trying to drive the sound into clipping

make sure that you save it to one of the fixed amplitude wav/aiff formats i.e. 24 bit or 16 bit not 32 bit floating point.

even better export a single kick as a cd quality wav/aiff

better still create the sound by using a distortion/saturation plugin rather than trying to drive the sound into clipping

Thanks this was what i was looking for.

I dont think i will use it in a song unless it sounds great, but just having fun with it.

I can make my kicks sound a little bit like the boi1da kicks from his drum kits.

You don't have to clip your kickdrums just to distort it thats why theres distortion plugins for to give your 808's a little more body.

Clipping is a really crude and not very good way of making things 'louder'. The distortion doesn't sound great, unless you happen to be clipping through some old analogue gear.

Learn to compress properly. Compressing drums is really hard because everything happens so fast, but it's worth learning.

-Turn up til it clips
-Mute all tracks exept kick drum
-Export song to desktop or wherever
-Load/import it back into the project
-youll get that clipping sound no matter how low the volume
-make sure you compress to get the lows loud too before exporting

Back