How should I time this?

Phosphate

So im into making songs with stringed instruments and pianos. What should the timing be on those? Im trying to do 4x4 but I always get pissed off because the piano parts I record do not match... Should I even worry about time or what are you opinions??

-CLEARER QUESTION- :P

I've made some 4/4 tracks and experiments and I'm pretty good with 4/4. But now I am used to 4/4, so when I'm making an instrumental with piano and some strings or whatnot, when I do it in 4/4 im always a couple bars short of 32. (isn't that what it should be at?)
The cause of this is usually my piano parts being random lengths.

So basically Im just confused on what time signature I should be using, etc. Cause when im short of 32 I have to add in some cheesy long note just to make it 32...
Thanks again

Last edited:
Well, probably about 98% of western pop music is in 4/4, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure why you're coming up short on 32 bars though...because it doesn't really have that much to do with it, and there's no reason why something *should* be 32 bars long, except maybe that it's a common length to end up with.

So im into making songs with stringed instruments and pianos. What should the timing be on those? Im trying to do 4x4 but I always get pissed off because the piano parts I record do not match... Should I even worry about time or what are you opinions??

-CLEARER QUESTION- :P

I've made some 4/4 tracks and experiments and I'm pretty good with 4/4. But now I am used to 4/4, so when I'm making an instrumental with piano and some strings or whatnot, when I do it in 4/4 im always a couple bars short of 32. (isn't that what it should be at?)
The cause of this is usually my piano parts being random lengths.

So basically Im just confused on what time signature I should be using, etc. Cause when im short of 32 I have to add in some cheesy long note just to make it 32...
Thanks again

Don't let so-called "standards" make you feel inadequate - they are guidelines distilled from the analysis of several centuries of music.

That Tin Pan Alley perfected the art of the 32 bar song form is neither here nor there.

Modern dance music is firmly rooted in the concept of multiples of 4, but that does not mean that you need to follow it.

Use the fact that your falling short of 32 bars as an excuse to throw in a breakdown, turnaround or other instrumental interlude, even if it is just the drums banging away

What is your strong point in music?? Trance, hip-hop, etc...

Back